Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 19-07-2006 , 10:49 AM
Senior Software Developer

1st Environment Scene

First proper Environment Scen attempt.

Was originally done as part of one of the SM challenges, but spent more time on it and enhanced it and tried to improve it.

Comments Welcome:
user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 2 19-07-2006 , 12:09 PM
looks good mate..

just a q, how did u learn texturing/rendering? :p :bow:

~The Computer Is A Moron~
# 3 19-07-2006 , 12:33 PM
Looking good R@nSiD...

Here would be my only suggestion: At the moment the room just looks lost spatially. I think a lot would be added to the scene if you squeezed the room down a bit, moved everything closer together, then zoomed in the shot. So basically you are filling the camera with objects rather than blank space. This will actually help hide some of the repeating texturing, as well as allow you to make it more realistic.

Toss in a rug, some books on the shelves, some power cables, some realistic clutter so to speak.

But hey I really like the render, the reflections are nice and so are the shadows...keep working on it.

# 4 19-07-2006 , 05:29 PM

Originally posted by relikz
looks good mate..

just a q, how did u learn texturing/rendering? :p :bow:

There is a free tutorial here that covers the basic of it. From then it was trial and error. Also search the web there are lots of texture tutorials about to help you get to grips. This scene only covers and uses the real basics of shading networks.

Esion,

Thx for the comments. Appreciated always. The WIP title for this was "The Lonely Desk" user added image. I was messing the a rug, but I could not get it to render properly, but it will be on my to do list for an upgrade later user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 5 19-07-2006 , 06:38 PM
it looks nice, but i've gotta say that except for the window, there aren't really any shadows in the scene at all... or is it just me?

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 19-07-2006 , 07:56 PM
did you use GI or FG.

# 7 20-07-2006 , 07:22 AM
Neither...

1 large powerful spotlight passing light through the glass shader and 2 ambient lights to create fill light it the room

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter