Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 31-07-2007 , 02:51 PM

Nissan Skyline R34 Autobot

This is a model for a local magazine competition, here in the city that I live.

Because I didn`t have time to finish it, I just did a very crap texturing and posing just to present to the competition and if I`m lucky enough I will get the first price with is the PLAYSTATION 3!

And I hope I will be finishing the model here in this post.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 31-07-2007 , 02:53 PM
and the sequence.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 31-07-2007 , 02:56 PM
more sequence.
I could have done all those image in more small scale but, I thought some people would like to see the detail.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 31-07-2007 , 02:59 PM
Looks good man, be great to see a animation of him transforming!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 31-07-2007 , 03:01 PM
final pose.

Well , all those interior parts is just temporary, I just made it to present for the competition.
But my intention is to make more belivable, like in the movie.
So basically I want to take all those interior out and replace it with the parts that actually real cars parts, like engine and such.

It is a long way to go, I know.....

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 31-07-2007 , 03:12 PM
And with texture.
This texture is also teporary.

I know is a very bad looking texture...specular and all.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 31-07-2007 , 03:15 PM
gster123: Wow
Fast reply!
I problably will be doing some animation, but at the moment the model have some weird rigging problems, probably is the IK.

# 8 31-07-2007 , 03:53 PM
woaauser added image

man its really lookin awesome.
A car tranforming user added image
i think its so complicated
waitin 4 more animated projects user added image

# 9 31-07-2007 , 09:50 PM
Subscriber
Hey i gotta say man i rarely see things on hear that blow me away but that rocks! I was thinking how hard that would be to do and how far past my understanding that is when i saw the movie! Well you did it and with some cool style also!

CDV
# 10 31-07-2007 , 10:23 PM
Acid44
DUDE THATS AMAZING!!!!!

# 11 31-07-2007 , 10:54 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Don't worry mate you'll win that competition, user added image
Great work

# 12 01-08-2007 , 10:26 AM
Yeah, that does look nice.

I might be able to help with the rigging problems - I'm good with machine one. I've built expanding joints, know how to make joints do full flips, among other things.

Regardless, I'd like a closer look at your model (I'll admit, I want a copy of the model itself). I'm trying to figure out how to make these kinds of things (So far all I have is beetles out of spheres - but its completely mechanically correct).

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 13 01-08-2007 , 11:58 AM
Ok everybody.

I appreciate for all that excitement, but...
I think you guys are thinking that this model already have full animatic FK/IK system , and all those parts that transform are correctly done.

Well is not...
I would need to go back and remake all the rigging stuff, and the UVS at the moment are useless, and some interior parts doesn`t fit when`s in the car shape so I`m hiding it ( and those kind of stuff that I would like to replace and make it not hidden).

It is still a long way to go.

But so for those who ask me how I did that so far I will post some WIP pics, and information...that might help.

So let start.

first I started with the car, because obviously my intention here is to make something to transform into a car.

and after the car is done, I started to break the body into peaces.
(Before I start breaking I knew quite for sure with part go where when this model get tranformed, so wasn`t too difficult to figure`t out how I should break it, so my advice is to get to know how you going to break and make it transform)

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Stormgetto; 01-08-2007 at 12:04 PM.
# 14 01-08-2007 , 12:15 PM
And so...
After I had all my car split into peaces, I did a quick search to see how the transformers are actually transformed....
*probably I could have done this research even before I split the car....

Anyway after I decide how should my car transform (this I mean how roughly my transform will be in@the robot shape) I started to put all those splited part in the position of the robot.
*remember to save in different file so you can use a old file (car model file) to use as reference when you going to make it transform back to a car.

And when I got satisfied with the position I started making the interior and the skeleton.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 01-08-2007 , 12:17 PM
And here it is the skeleton!

Attached Thumbnails