Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 02-08-2009 , 11:26 AM
Done a camera path pre-viz for the client so he can see how one of the animated transitions between pages will look, need to move bits around like the traffic lights (onto the pavement) and add lots more detail to the actual model, but he's happy with it so far so so am I!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jeamahomWo

# 32 02-08-2009 , 07:18 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
haha... looks good man, but the peoples posses make them look like zombies.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 33 02-08-2009 , 07:56 PM
The Nurb Herd
cool, how long have you been rendering that!

# 34 02-08-2009 , 09:38 PM
Haha, thanks Steve, yeah, they do look a bit zombiefied! The client was asking about them being animated, I asked about more cash...lol
Have to see, I have no time restrictions on doing that part of the project so will just have to see how it goes.

Cheers Hammer, it took about 4 days to render all 200 frames, *wishes for faster pc*, not too much of a problem as I have two pc's networked together, so I can still work on the one while rendering on the other thankfully!

# 35 02-08-2009 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
woooooooooooow 4 days!! user added image
that's mighty impressive

hope you'll figure out render layers too, or you're client will be like 'can youo tweak the colour a bit?" and you'll be like "oh crap... just wait another 4 days please"

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 36 02-08-2009 , 09:57 PM
Haha, no don't worry Chirone, I'd use render layers for colour etc, as it was an Occlusion pre-viz I thought I'd just let it get on a do it's thing.

He probably will ask for things to be tweaked here and there so I've been preparing myself for that kind of thing. Luckily I do have quite a large say in how this will all look in the final results so it's not as bad as it could be with some jobs!

# 37 02-08-2009 , 10:05 PM
The Nurb Herd
do you know how to do a playblast?

# 38 02-08-2009 , 10:10 PM

Originally posted by hammer.horror
do you know how to do a playblast?

No, heard of it but not read up on that yet. Any info will be greatly appreciated, or even a point in the right direction!

Hadn't thought of that as I've never used it so cheers for putting the idea to me!

# 39 03-08-2009 , 01:28 PM
wow very cool, you have me inspired to turn one of my scenes into a full city!

Curious how you make the buildings..i know someone asked but the explanation doesnt quite make sense to me..or i dont fully understand 3D lingo yet user added image

But do you make rectangles and the grab faces and pull them in to make windows..or is it a series of alot of cubes and rectangles? If you dont feel like answering no worries...either way a great scene....you do good work.

https://www.2amdesign.net
I would love to collaborate with anyone to texture and do zbrush work so let me know
# 40 03-08-2009 , 01:36 PM
Thanks Andy!

To make the windows it is just grabbing faces and extruding them inwards, The main thing is planning all the placement of them first when building the main shape.
Getting all the edges that will make up the frames of the windows in the right place is the most important thing at that stage, I use the grid in a front view (or side view depending what side I'm working on) to measure out how many edges will be needed for the windows, making sure they are all spaced out equally, or at least where they are supposed to be!
The main thing is to get the overall shape of the building in there first, then keep refining the detail, adding more as you go, as is the case with all modelling really!

Hope that does help somehow, best of luck in your projects too!

# 41 03-08-2009 , 01:48 PM
awsome thanks for sharing.... i think I will start my first building today user added image

I would love to collaborate with anyone to texture and do zbrush work so let me know
# 42 03-08-2009 , 01:52 PM
The Nurb Herd
just create a cube elongate it. add subdivisions maybe 20 for the height (depending on how much you elongated it)

side view > select faces maybe a few less rows at the top and bottom, uncheck "keep faces together" extrude in a couple of times

bish bash bosh windows!

you get something like this.
user added image

i have a question after looking through the thread... how are you going to comp it in PS if you have an animation? will you do frame by frame?
:headbang:

# 43 03-08-2009 , 01:59 PM
Not too sure how I'll comp it when it comes to the animation, I'll have more render layers too at that point so it could become a little tricky doing each frame individually....

Have to do some research and some serious thinking before I get to that point! lol

# 44 03-08-2009 , 06:16 PM
well you have inspired me..my first building user added image

user added image

# 45 03-08-2009 , 08:28 PM
If you want some mocap give me a shout

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle