Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-10-2011 , 09:28 PM
Subscriber

Strange ploy modeling behavior

Maya 2011:
When I create a simple poly box & then increase number of segments, it starts looking irregular.
As if I have applied noise deformer.

Any idea what this is?

Thank you in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-10-2011 , 09:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
If you start changing things about the cube like the translation, and then change the creation settings, things can go funky. Not sure why, since the vertex number shouldn't have changed, but that's the way it seems to be. If you want to change the inputs, don't do anything else first.

# 3 14-10-2011 , 10:49 PM
Subscriber
wow..
I wouldnt have guessed that. Its a really silly problem.
Thank you.

# 4 14-10-2011 , 11:21 PM
I think you can just delete history and freeze transformations after applying transforms and before changing attributes.

Last edited by edgeWalker; 14-10-2011 at 11:34 PM.
# 5 14-10-2011 , 11:53 PM
Subscriber
Thank you Stwert & edgewalker...

I discovered that if I used the scale tool manipulator before I modify segments, I get these issues.
But if I scale using the channel editor, then theres no issues.

So, this is my question:
When I scale an object using scale manipulator (hotkey R), should the scale value show up in the channelbox?
Mine does not show. Is that normal?

Thank you.

# 6 15-10-2011 , 12:48 AM
yes, you should see the scale values in the channel box. If you are not check to see if you are getting a message to the affect - non object-space scale baked onto object. In any case double click the scale tool and in the options select reset tool. This should fix the problem if you are not seeing scaling values.

Normally scaling an object and then changing its creation node parameters should work fine. The problems occur when you move or translate vertices and then try to modify parameters in the creation node.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 15-10-2011 at 12:51 AM.