Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 21-05-2014 , 08:23 PM

Fixing UVs after editing geometry

Greetings!

I have a 3d-scanned, textured model as a polymesh which I need to fix. Amongst other issues there are these donut-style* holes I need to get rid of. I do so by deleting the faces inbetween the two surfaces that are supposed to be outer and inner surfaces and then "mesh -> fill hole" them and cut them into triangles using the Multi-cut tool.

I have gotten rid of the hole that way BUT the UV-texture is messed up. I tried to cut along edge to seperate the newly created faces from the rest of the original uv-shells, because the new uvs are spread out over the whole set and will distort the original ones they are connected to if i try to scale them down.

I also tried to create new uvs but that makes the original texture disappear in UV editor.
I also don't know how to propely lay these new ones out in the editor, they are mixed up and I don't know which way they should be scaled/distorted so they are aligned with the according face's normal.

Please help!
Tutorials I watched do not adress this issue.

*donut-style hole:
With intermediate faces between the two sides which are so to say inside the object's mass.

# 2 21-05-2014 , 08:34 PM
If they are only a small amount of geo why dont you keep the meshes sep. UV them. Then combine the geo and snap the UV's of the new geo into place in your original layout?

# 3 21-05-2014 , 08:51 PM
I tried separating the newly created faces and used a simple planar mapping on them. They look fine in the UV-Editor, but upon combining the meshes it again looks messed up.

The UV-Layout generated from the 3D-Scan is all over the place, i.e. there's one shell to the far left, another in the right upper corner and some more and the newly created one is connected to each one of them. I'd just need to separate the new faces to form a new shell which i can move freely in the UV-Editor.

Also I cannot redo the UV-Layout, everything is in place apart from these holes that need fixing. + I do not know enough about UVs.