Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-11-2003 , 12:32 AM
Subscriber

NURBS performance in Maya 5

Hey everybody,
I've been following a great little tutorial on modeling a NURBS car rim (https://www.alias.com/eng/community/t...al/index.jhtml) and I've just about finished. I've had virtually no performance problems so far, sans a little wait while filleting/triming some of the more complex parts. I've created a simple scene to showcase the rim in, and I want to position the rim where it will look good. I selected (using Edit > Select All by Type > NURBS Surfaces) my rim, but when I try to transform it in any way (translate, scale, rotate...), Maya starts "Calculating... Hit escape key to interrupt calculation...". The calculation lasts for roughly 30 seconds (!!!) or so. I've tried grouping all my surfaces and moving the group, I've tried duplicating all my surfaces to see if the duplicate has the same problems (it does). Now this is the first model I've made using NURBS with trims and fillets, so I don't know if it's just this model that is screwing up, or if it's my version of Maya (5 Unlimited). I do get a series of about 20 warning message whenever I try to transform my surfaces: "Warning: rbfSrf20 (Rbf Srf Node): A surface is not tangent continuous, the resulting fillet may be bad", which leads me to believe it's just this one model that is screwing up (a bad fillet or something). Rather than remake the whole model (which took me quite a while to begin with) I'm hoping somebody has a solution for my problem (either to fix the tangent error messages, or fix my performance problems in another way). Besides I'd like to know how to deal with this problem if it occurs later on down the line. I'm attaching the .mb in case anybody cares to check it out for themselves (it might complain about some textures missing but that shouldn't be a problem). Thanks in advance for any help whatsoever!

Attached Files
File Type: mb mercedes21.mb (176.7 KB, 301 views)