SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Maya Questions / Lighting & Rendering / Grainy Renders

Lighting & Rendering General Lighting, Camera & Rendering Related Topics

Join the conversation. Reply to post

27-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
bppitt

Grainy Renders
Hey all!

I'm a new maya user (loving it!) and today I was following this tutorial, http://pixeltutorials.wordpress.com/...th-mental-ray/

and I was able to follow it pretty closely, however my mental ray renders come out a bit grainy, like in the attached picture.

I was hoping to get some guidance on how to improve the quality and make it less grainy. Any tips?
I'm basically teaching myself from home and I'm having a blast, although this has slowed me down some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DiamondsTest.jpg
Views:	1954
Size:	503.5 KB
ID:	55701  
27-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
NextDesign
Technical Director

You need to increase your samples. I can't tell you which ones as I don't have a copy of Maya on this machine. Maybe Gen can help out. I'll bring this to her attention.
27-04-2014, 03:50 AM   #3
Gen
Super Moderator

I'm assuming you're using an area light with the light shape activated. The high samples need boosting. The trick is to balance that with the render settings samples. On a side note, it does look like the normals on the gems could be hardened for a more chiseled look and the refraction traces in the render settings could be increased.
::|| My Maya FAQ ||::
27-04-2014, 04:03 AM   #4
NextDesign
Technical Director

The caustics don't look focused enough either.
27-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
bppitt

Ok got it that was most helpful. And yes gen, I am using the area light. SO I need to harden the edges (so obvious now!), increase my sampling and play with refraction settings and caustics. Thanks! I will re-post hopefully better results!

This is one of my first renders in maya so all of this is great help, thanks a ton!