Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 46 13-02-2007 , 10:03 AM
19 year Veteran

do you mean on the toy they stick out while I modeled them inside the head?

Yes, thats what I was pointing out to NeoStrider, but wasn't a direct request for you to change, but the eyes in toy pic do however sit on the face not inside BTW. As far as my .gif is concerned, it doesn't reflect 100% what the toy in the pics show. The pics are still low quality, and it's hard to really tell how the back of the upper part of the jaw fits based on them, however some parts were obvious, and you made changes accordingly. Sorry for not pointing out the head length to you sooner.

Anyway, the .gif was merely a suggestion based on my own observations. No one is forcing you to make changes. I will say this again, it's your project, and you make it the way you want, and thats the most important thing. So don't take my criticism the wrong way. I have no problem with you disagreeing with me.

Last edited by THX1138; 13-02-2007 at 10:06 AM.
# 47 09-02-2009 , 08:04 PM
Subscriber
Well I know its been a long time but to be honest I forgot about this project until the other day when my mate showed me all the new eps of the new transformers. They got alot of things wrong with that show but one thing they did get right was Grimlock - oh wait I built him.

user added image

So I have come back to him and following some tut`s on lighting I think I have gotten him looking good. I hope you like. This is just a test render but hoping to make a final scene over the next few hours just to get my mind out of my virtual city - as I`m feeling a little lost in that at the moment.

user added image

Last edited by tweetytunes; 09-02-2009 at 08:51 PM.
# 48 09-02-2009 , 08:26 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Is that a photo or a render?
if its a render, nice work!
neck brace looks a little weird though, but it might be supposed to look like that, i dont knoe

# 49 09-02-2009 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
Yes thats a render.

And yes the neck needs completely rebuilding. It was the only part I was unhappy with months back aswell.

The pain is to place this guy on a table, with the box and sticker sheet as if it just came out the box.

user added image

Well here is the box - it was harder than I thought as I had to make all the textures myself. - All ref images of the box from the internet were on angles or very low rez, but found parts of the images in high rez and made the textures in photoshop - I am happy with it apart from one thing, but I can live with it. (The grid on the side is a different size to the front grid).

The cube inside the box was just to the plastic sheet in the front of the box. Quite prode of the window in the box and how I got it to follow the image of Grimlock.

Edit ::

user added image

Finished the instructions - the red stat viewer and the sticker sheet

Last edited by tweetytunes; 10-02-2009 at 12:13 AM.
# 50 10-02-2009 , 08:15 PM
Subscriber
Well this took 36min and its a low rez (640x480) draft MR verson of the final scene layout. I am aiming for a 1080p rez image. Going to have a slow camera pan in to this shot for a little animation to show off the model

I can see I need to place the objects on the surface a little better but overall I`m happy with it - going now to model the weapons then rework the neck

user added image

# 51 10-02-2009 , 08:23 PM
Subscriber
are you going to animate him transforming?

i'm dissapointed in the grimlock i have.. it came in a plastic case (not the fancy box you have there) and its BLUE user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 52 10-02-2009 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber
I cant for the life of me figure out how to rig this so it can animate. I wish I could - I am going to render him in robot mode as well. The other problem I have is that this is based of the toy so there is little room for movement of the parts in any other way than the way the parts move, but I did want it based of the toy more than the cartoon.

You got your self the gen 2 Grimlock - which look rubbish in blue and is something I always wondered why they did it. I miss the old boxes - you knew you had a cool toy when you got those boxes.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 10-02-2009 at 10:29 PM.
# 53 11-02-2009 , 07:30 AM
Subscriber

# 54 11-02-2009 , 10:09 AM
Subscriber
WOW

a shame you never rigged it user added image

dude i am jealous :bow:

is that over 8 hours to render?

i'm curious though, can i see the wires (at various perspective views, or even orthographic as well, up to you)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 11-02-2009 at 10:12 AM.
# 55 11-02-2009 , 11:14 AM
Nice render!

Though, I would use a tad blurring in the table reflection (called glossy reflections in MR I think) for more realism.

# 56 11-02-2009 , 11:33 AM
Yeah looks great, other than what DJ said,

I would be tempted to render in passes and then composite it together at this point, just to get the most out of it.

Nice going, what was the light linkinig tut that you used?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 57 11-02-2009 , 11:34 AM
Subscriber
sure - well I had these done already but you you want more just let me know. And yes 8 hours 38 min.

The tut was the last dvd (out of 3) for the Product Visualization in Maya by DT. It was more to do with shadders working with lights mind you - but very useful.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Last edited by tweetytunes; 11-02-2009 at 11:58 AM.
# 58 11-02-2009 , 02:58 PM
Subscriber
Does or have anyone ever tided, to bake the FG and would it work on a scene like this - Just heard some people taking about it in games threads but i cant find anything on it. Just wondering to try and speed up the render times. Oh and Grimlock is not UV mapped - if that matters - Everything else is.

Cheers

Neil

# 59 11-02-2009 , 03:22 PM
If I remember correctly Gio mentioned it n Arrans Marley thread, unfortunately I cant remember what the actual title of the thread was.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 60 11-02-2009 , 05:51 PM
The Nurb Herd
you save the point cloud, i can't really remember but you zap it a few times from different angles but in the render settings you turn off... something, umm I'm sorry i'll have to check when i get home. I don't have maya in front of me

btw, i agree about the comping it.