Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 11-11-2002 , 05:21 PM

Bad rotation

Hello, Guys

I´m having a bit of problem with the axis in some object I´ve been practicing Maya with. I figured if it´s going to keep happening I might as well see why it happens and how to fix it right?

In this image you can see I´ve got two parented polygons. At some early stage of modelling I changed their pivot points so I could rotate them at the correct point. I did this for both polys. After modelling the rest -not seen here- I discovered a bizzare behaviour when it came to rotating. For example, if you evaluate the first image, you´ll see that after rotating the X handle in the direction shown by the arrow, the figure moves in the correct direction Now notice the second one. When rotating the X handle in the direction shown by the arrow, the figure rotates ... in the oposite direction!

Is there any way of changing that? What causes this problem? How can I prevent it from happening?

Thanks guys!

-I just noticed, the fancy effect I made for the images is wrong in the second one, just follow the arrows direction and you´ll get the idea.-

# 2 14-11-2002 , 02:31 AM
Yeah, I too have had that problem. Check your axis handles and see if they are both pointing the the same direction. If not, that will surely be the problem. Theres a method for turning the axis handles so they point differently, but I forget how to do it at this time. Try freezing the transformations on both of the geometries as well. ( go to MODIFY / FREEZE TRANSFORMATIONS).

I'll inquire on how to turn the axis handles at school tomorrow.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 3 14-11-2002 , 02:49 AM
The Maya Mountain
if you select an object, go into component mode and click on the ? icon in the component selection masks section, an axis symbol will appear... you can select it and change the rotational axis direction.

Hope that helps! Otherwise, I agree that you probably just need to freeze transformations.

# 4 14-11-2002 , 03:14 AM
Thanks for replying guys!
Actually the Freeze Transformations was employed already and they did change the rotation though. (as It can be seen in the model I posted in the November Competition Thread) However as people who have downloaded the model can note, I forgot to actually check all the legs, and there still some legs doing the bad rotation.
However I didn´t know the procedure Mike just showed us. So thanks again for replying guys. I might even get there and fix the d*mn legs once and for all. user added image
I would like to know though: What the hell does this Freeze Transformations procedure actually do? I mean, what does it freeze*? Is there any particular reason why it should be done? What cases should it be used in? I mean .. I don´t understand the thing.

*Now since I know there´s some sarcastic dudes like me around here, please remember: I do know it freezes transformation, but in what way? :p

# 5 14-11-2002 , 03:18 AM
The Maya Mountain
it simply reverts your channel box to its original settings without altering the position or shape of the object.

# 6 14-11-2002 , 03:19 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
it simply reverts your channel box to its original settings without altering the position or shape of the object.

Brilliant. Couldn´t have gotten it better.
Thanks Mike.

-now that was quick.-

# 7 14-11-2002 , 05:45 AM
Yeah... what Mike said. :p

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu