Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-08-2006 , 01:41 AM

rotation-axis of pivot point off

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how you can manipulate the rotatotion of a pivot point. "Center Pivot" only centers the position, but not the orientation. So how do I get my pivot axis the same as the world axis? (duplicating the object doesn't work - the pivot of the new object is also disorted.)

it's the group teeth_low that has it's roation axis off.

Maya7.0
WinXP

Attached Files
File Type: mb try01.mb (234.8 KB, 263 views)
# 2 03-08-2006 , 03:01 AM
go to

modify > freeze transform

and whatever rotations you have applied to an object will be collapsed to world space, in other words, you reset the pivot points rotation.

# 3 03-08-2006 , 03:31 AM

freeze transformation doesn't work

It doesn't work. I select the teeth_low groups in the outliner and then do the freeze transformation and the rotation axis shows absolutly no reaction. Please try it with the attachment.

# 4 03-08-2006 , 04:35 AM
How odd. For me, the rotation axis is at a 45 degree offset from straight on with the teeth. After freeze transform the rotation axis lines up with the teeth but it is still at a downwards slant (like the teeth). To fix this you can easily go into the rotate tool options and change the pivot to "world" instead of "local" - but I'm not sure why the local rotation pivot won't change - very odd indeed.

# 5 03-08-2006 , 04:44 AM
Ah, your problem is, that the teeth group's pivot is perfectly fine (after a freeze transform), but if you go to the teeth group's attributes, under Transform Attributes "inherit transforms" is checked, which is why the pivot point is at an angle.

You would have to edit the pivot of one of the upper groups, like mouth.

good luck.