Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-11-2007 , 08:15 AM

rigging and animation

Hi everyone
I am writing again to get some help maybe the problem was not well explained. I have rigged the character 3 times and use all controls preparing for animation. I have a big problem to set up it. At the end it is not possible move the root freely. It looks like something hold it somewhere. The bones don't follow controls. I am attaching a screen to show how it is. I don't know what i did wrong but it happens 3 times at the same way. I have no idea how to fix it. Could you help me?
Thanks
Elenir

Attached Images
# 2 05-11-2007 , 10:40 AM
I am no guru at rigging but I suggest that you put two main controls around the whole model.

Firstly the first control would be called: localControl; this will control how the character moves up down and side to side etc..

Secondly the second control would be called: global; this control will control the whole global attributes of the model allowing you to freely move the model in any direction.

# 3 05-11-2007 , 01:17 PM
It is done. There is a global control which controlled all other controls. Everything seems to be ok but I can't move the it freely by global control. I tried doing many different things but nothing solve this problem. I rigged again and it happens at the same way.
Thanks
Elenir

# 4 05-11-2007 , 01:19 PM
Post your file so we can see more details.

# 5 05-11-2007 , 04:00 PM
There you are attached the file. I hope it can help to discovered the problem.
Thanks
Elenir

Attached Files
File Type: rar redo6.rar (219.5 KB, 205 views)
# 6 05-11-2007 , 04:44 PM
On your arms you need to add a IK RP (rotate plane) which will let you control the way the elbow bends, the IK RP will go from the shoulder joint to the wrist.

It looks like it is missing a lot of things. I am loving the look of the character, nice work.

I have attached a file I just made of a simply arm setup.

I will look over your file when I have more time I am a newbie myself to this but I will look over it and I am sure other people will too.

Attached Files
File Type: mb arm.mb (71.2 KB, 187 views)
# 7 05-11-2007 , 05:39 PM
Thanks for your reply and advise.
At the moment I need to understand what is going on with the rigging controls that doesn't run freely. I can't manage to animate the character. It is not possible even I disable some controls.
I never saw it before. It is very strange thing.
Thank you
Elenir

# 8 11-11-2007 , 08:14 PM

hmmm...

The controls do work but the reason they are not moving with the main global is because they are either not grouped under the global group or parented. You can parent constrain them to the appropiate joint by selecting the joint then the control and then go to the bar menu: Constrain>Parent. Make sure you Freeze the transformations of the control first before you do this, Modify>freeze transformations. Now when you move the root the control will follow the skeleton. You can now group the controls that was constrained to the global group. To do this go to the hypergraph and find the control in there. Middle mouse click it down and drag into the global group to group it under. You do this because when you select the global group and either scale it or move it anywhere into your scene, the attached control will react according to the global transformations without influencing anything else. I really hope this works. When you reach problems like this it's always better to start over and rig it again. It will save you a lot of headaches.

EA Games
# 9 07-12-2007 , 03:21 AM
i am not able to open ur source file

but i think the joint is connected to the global control...so the joints are getting double transformation....from both local and global controls

Last edited by Nirmal_c; 07-12-2007 at 03:25 AM.