Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 11-03-2011 , 12:47 PM
Subscriber

Mesh Mixer

https://www.meshmixer.com/

YouTube - meshmixer03 preview

Okay, if you're too lazy to click the link I'll explain...
This program is a tool to rapidly make and mix multiple meshes together. For example if you have a model of a face and a model of a rabbit you can easily and quickly stick the face onto the rabbit. Kinda like cutting and pasting except the meshes are stuck together and the stitching is done for you...

In short, this looks really really fun! Messy and imprecise. I love it when something that is fairly technical like 3D modeling can be completely simplified. This to me seems like a 3D scrapbook tool. A way to take old and unused models and re-work them into something fun and new.

Any bets as to how long it takes for Z-Brush to implement a feature like this...?

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 2 12-03-2011 , 08:01 AM
Acid44
That actually looks really cool to mess around with. Wouldnt have much use for it myself, but for organic modelers, or people doing a lot of fantasy art, like Kurt, it would probably get awesome results

# 3 12-03-2011 , 09:22 PM
Subscriber
haha this is a fun tool. not sure if it is the win 64 bit version i just played with. but gobbling this together it crashed on me 3 times. so i suggest to save it every now and then if you work on this a longer time. it works with tris, that is how it is able to just stick any geometry into anything, i guess. not sure how it handles quad meshes - have not tried - only played with the sample body parts that come with it (all tris). it works as easy as the movie shows. no learning curve.

thanks for the great find some guy

btw: i call this a cow bunny with hands and weird tail ... user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 12-03-2011 , 10:20 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Its a neat idea, theres a similar thing in zb4 I think but dont quote me on it. This is a good idea to use for fast concept ideas too.

Is that the Softimage rabbit too??

Jay

# 5 13-03-2011 , 01:03 AM
Subscriber

Its a neat idea, theres a similar thing in zb4 I think but dont quote me on it. This is a good idea to use for fast concept ideas too.

Is that the Softimage rabbit too??

Jay

not sure about the origin of the rabbit. it comes with meshmixer - actually its the only model (other than the included bodyparts) that they have. guess so you can start out and play as i did. don't remember any notices about copyrights. unless you can use the softimage rabbit for free???

i suggest you download it and check it out - it is not even 30 mb. from https://meshmixer.com/index.html:

meshmixer is a free tool for making crazy-ass 3D stuff without too much hassle. Or boring stuff too. You decide. Watch the video below...then download it and give it a whirl

has 32/64 bit versions for both win and mac

edit: well, there you go - the bunny is not the only model that comes with it. only thing it does have is a special button - one is import (opens file browser for obj files) and the other is import bunny. my bad

Last edited by BabyDuck; 13-03-2011 at 01:23 AM.
# 6 13-03-2011 , 01:56 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Wait.
So you're telling me that I can now combine elephants to make more elephants?

# 7 13-03-2011 , 07:50 AM
Acid44
You can make a creature that's half elephant/half elephant user added image

# 8 13-03-2011 , 08:21 PM
Subscriber
is it the softimage bunny? i didn't know it originated from softimage (i have my doubts) but i get the impression it's almost as famous as that teapot. I saw them heaps while I was studying

Why stop with two elephants when you can combine a whole heard!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D