Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 121 09-05-2003 , 03:13 PM
hehe yeah I was thinking the same things M user added image

at the moment I've just made it so there's one enemy, I haven't really designed it flexibly enough to make different types etc.

I think I'll just make it that the enemy guy drops health, and sheilds, and ammo.

And then, if you kill your opponent, your weapons get upgraded to "level 2", then "level 3" etc., with level 4 (??) being the highest.

Sound ok?

One alternative to this is -

There are no "powerups", but the user only starts with one weapon (the first one) enabled.
When they kill the user for the first time, they are then on "level2" and can use the 2nd weapon as well... same with 3rd level etc.

I think I like this idea better because it encourages a wider use of the weapons and there's more of a sense of "progressing".

I can allways take it from there, but as it is the game's a bit limited in how I've designed it :p
And I also don't have too much time to spend on these outside of school projects, being in my last year user added image

I finish school around November, it would be cool to take this heaps futher then user added image (I'll have to do some learning :p )

Also, I was thinking, let me know if you think this is a good or bad idea, or something similar -

The user has 4 weapons, mabey 5, not all that important I guess, but anyway, the "base" weapon (#1), has unlimited ammo.
All the other weapons have ammo, but it's one-size-fits-all, and some weapons start off with more ammo than others, to prevent the user from using too much of some weapons etc. and to encourage them to use a wide range.

When the collect ammo (by killing the "enemy"), they get a fixed ammount of ammo added to each of their weapons.

What do you think?

If you think this is all good, then all we need to finish the game off is:

*Health pickup
*Shield pickup
*Ammo pickup (one size fits all)
*HUD - with Health, Shield, Ammo, and weapons - needs to indicate the weapon the user has selected/the weapons the user is allowed to use (or the players "level")

Cool! user added image
:banana:

EDIT: I'm off to bed, I'll be up in, 8 hours or so

Last edited by PappaSmurf; 09-05-2003 at 03:20 PM.
# 122 09-05-2003 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber
Sounds great! One thing that could be an alternative though, and tell me what you think. If enemies will be easy to kill... then could you link up 5 enemies with variables and such and when you kill 5 enemies then it drops a powerup? Or groups of enemies of the same type? Like in wolfpacks? Do you understand? Just because i know on gradus they will have lines of enemies.. if you kill all the enemies in that line.. you get a powerup... If you dont kill them all, you dont get anything heheh. Ok, let me know. if not then i will start on the hud after your post user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 123 09-05-2003 , 05:37 PM
Subscriber
Yes and I could start on those pickups pretty soon too!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 124 10-05-2003 , 01:52 AM
M - thats a really cool idea, I don't think I can do it with the current enemy though

Hmm actually I can't really think how you could do that, it'd be possible of course, but how, hmm

Do you guys want to do that (Vector does powerups, M does a HUD?)

Sounds cool to me

I wanna get a working copy to you guys soon so you can try it out and see if it works on your computers user added image

PS

# 125 10-05-2003 , 04:46 AM
Subscriber
Yah, bundle it and post it here!!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
# 126 10-05-2003 , 06:12 AM
M & Vectorman - I've found someone with access to a webhost in the US, so I'm sending it to him now and he's going to put it on his host

I'll send you each a link when it's up

All the needed files are in the zip, just put them in the same folder and run the exe

*fingers crossed it works*
:p

# 127 10-05-2003 , 05:05 PM
Subscriber
user added image, that was awesome! Very cool to play a game like that user added image. A couple things though.. without a rapid fire.. 100 health is a ton.. that took me a long time to kill the other player. If you could do pivot turning, like turn left and right and then foreward and backwards. that would be insane! I didnt figure out how though, so if theres a way can you tell me? Anyways.. great job so far and I will definately be making that hud soon.. i have been busy lately. but the weekend is here.. i should have some time and i will use the resources above to compose what it will look like user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 128 11-05-2003 , 11:57 AM
Cool! Thnx M & Vectorman user added image
:banana:

There's no key for rotate, I decided to make it just up-down/left-right, to make things a little easier user added image

I'm off to bed, I'll talk to you guys through the week

Seeya

# 129 11-05-2003 , 12:16 PM
Oh, by the way, weapon #2 (the red thing) is not going to be used in the final.

Weapons 1, 3, 4, and 5 will deffinately be used (perhaps not in the current order though).

I will probably replace #2 with the blue laser or something else, not sure at this point user added image

Seeya

# 130 12-05-2003 , 09:11 AM
Hey, I know this is not really anything to do with Maya or graphics, but I'm looking for the sound of a very large fan.

Like, "whoosh.... whoosh.... whoosh"

You often hear this sound in games or movies, I'm not sure where I've heard it, but it's the sound of something massive spinning slowly, but moving a lot of air.

Any ideas where I might find this sound?
It would be SOOO cool if I could get what I'm thinking of in a sound file user added image

user added image

# 131 12-05-2003 , 09:20 AM

Originally posted by PappaSmurf
Like, "whoosh.... whoosh.... whoosh"

LMAO. I believe each and every person that reads that line will actually try to pronounce the sound ... thus making a total *ss of themselves in whichever room they´re in. whoosh ..whoosh. :p

# 132 12-05-2003 , 09:41 AM

Originally posted by adldesigner
LMAO. I believe each and every person that reads that line will actually try to pronounce the sound ... thus making a total *ss of themselves in whichever room they´re in. whoosh ..whoosh. :p

LOL
user added image

# 133 12-05-2003 , 10:19 AM
Never mind guys user added image

# 134 12-05-2003 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber
HAaHaHaHA i said it and made an @$$ of my self. Then read the next post and laoughed wicked hard!

# 135 13-05-2003 , 11:52 AM
Can someone give me a hand with this animation I'm trying to do?

I've got a really cool sound and I need to sync a simple (rotation) animation to it.

It's not that easy though, I can sync the middle bit, but the rotation needs to accellerate, then remain constant, then decelerate.

Now I can get the accelerating at the right speed to begin with, and the constant speed, but I'm not sure about the slowing down, and I also can't figure out how to add these three different animations together - I can only do them seperately, not within the one project, at the right time etc.