Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 24-01-2004 , 05:56 PM
The Maya Mountain
Coming along. user added image

# 17 24-01-2004 , 10:05 PM
Altered the rib cage to go more with the flow of the design And started making the armor for it. I also finally got around to doing a drawing of it... i was surprised how nice the drawing came out.. hopefully what i drew will be what it looks like.

Attached Thumbnails

# 18 25-01-2004 , 12:12 AM
This is looking good! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Have you any plans for a weapon or two?

# 19 25-01-2004 , 12:34 AM
Subscriber
Nice work mate. You gona animate and do a special move as well?

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 20 25-01-2004 , 03:20 PM
Clod: I was thinking of giving him a chain gun, however somoene at simplylightwave is doing a robot with a chaingun, so im thinking just a handheld long barrel plasma gun, or shoulder mounted railgun, possibly multiwarhead guided missiles that will fire from a hatch in his torso. Havent decided.

I will animate if i have time... as i joined near a month late im a little strapped for time and trying to get through the modeling phase fast.. while still making it good.

For my special move i couldnt decide either. The tubes that go along all the sections of the body i plan to glow brightly for a second, than fire an energyball out of the body at the opponent.

# 21 25-01-2004 , 04:46 PM
What about lasers blasting from his eyes, not sure how you could animate this but it would look cool in a render.

# 22 25-01-2004 , 06:56 PM
i know how i could animate it easily, just have the beam start as a small cylinder in his eyes with the pivot at the eye end of the cylinder, set the lambert with a glow, hide the object keeping the glow and key fram till about 30 frames later with the cylinder expanding. boom, you have a nice laser. However i still dont know how to render an animation.. i asked in the rendering section here and although the answers i got where good.. i didnt understand them and they didnt work.

I decided to go a different way with my guy, So hes not going to have much of armor, mostly going to be its bare skelleten with some coverings. but i think it will make it look scarier, kind of like a metal skeleton attacking you.

# 23 25-01-2004 , 11:34 PM
Subscriber
Thats a nice shader you've picked out there twisted. Really cool affect wtih your model.

# 24 26-01-2004 , 03:56 AM
Simply Maya OG
Looking nice Mario man. One thing that jumps out at me, is the blockiness of certian areas. Now, Im not sure if your aware of that, or not. I also love that blue semi-transparent shader you've got there. Did you download it, or make it? Im not around all too much, but Im'a keep an eye out on this one. user added image

- Hybrid
# 25 26-01-2004 , 09:20 AM
Yeah, i realize theres blockines sometimes. but i haent smoothed some edges yet and finished up some things.The shader was a simple x-ray shader, then i altered the color ad transparency and output and altered the ramp to make it lookkinda like plastic.

# 26 27-01-2004 , 12:46 PM
Subscriber
Dude sweet outcomes with your robot. Now comes the hard part of making the torso and attaching everything...

# 27 27-01-2004 , 07:08 PM
Well.. i figured out how to attatch the head to the spine... and i think i figured out how to attatch the spine to the groin area, and from that area to the legs.. im just having problems with the arms at the moment. But i think i got a nice jump on my head. ill post in about 10 minutes when i fix a few malicious problems.

# 28 27-01-2004 , 09:02 PM
Okay, tool onger than i thought because i messed with textures a bit. but this is what i have so far.

I havent finished the ocular setup. And i have some room where the mouth is.. not sure what i should put there. I was thinking a semi hiddin machin gun.

Well here it is.

Special thanks to ryan, Hybrid for help with coming up with texture ideas.

Attached Thumbnails

# 29 27-01-2004 , 11:18 PM
Twisted!!!!my hero....you R doing great.....
Once one teacher from Motion Art told me that if u wanna make a robot that looks perfect just make meaning for all those part u goin to make it!!!!!!!
And u doin very good in this concept.......
Looks like not heave armored but heave titaniun bones "Terminator"........
I was wondering.....is quiet unfair I'm doin a man...for this all cyborg and robots.........(I need to start to think in really nice secret moves and enormous combos)

# 30 28-01-2004 , 03:45 AM
Subscriber
Twisted btw.. I just wanted to say your doing some good work hear. But I am rather inpresed that you have a story behind your robot and you included that. Its a very good story also. I know there are others in this challenge that have done the same. For all - I like seeing it.