Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 28-01-2004 , 12:45 PM
Storm: thats actually how im modeling the robot. Im trying to only use parts that would have a purpose, i put some minor limitations on myself. Like im avoiding ball joints... dont know why... but i dont feel they flow with the model well. Im trying to make all joints usable to all movements. Im even going to run wires down the inside of the arms and legs(i almost finished the arms.

Pony: I like the story too. It was fun to come up with one aswell. It also decided how my model would look. Since part of it was made by its creator, and some of it was ammendments it made to itself i purposely made slightly different styles in different parts of it to show where he made it and where his master made it.

Ive done a few updates but nothing that needs a screen of. I finally made a working .avi of what i think my special move will be. But i need to maybe amplify it more.. because now his special move doesnt require any movement by him.

I remade the arms but kept the hands and shoulders but the arms look exceedingly better. And it also gave me an idea on a weapon. The weapon idea should look nice when animated.

Also, how do i make the glows stop flickering in the .avi, i know i have to turn something off.. i just cant recall what it is.

# 32 28-01-2004 , 01:06 PM
I was going to suggest some kind of drilling mechanism as a weapon, but looks like you've already decided on a weapon user added image.

# 33 28-01-2004 , 03:53 PM
Simply Maya OG
Looking nice Mario. I like the lava type effect inside the brain. I remember when you were using LW. You barely could make anything and now, your making all kinds of stuff. Definately progressing man. Keep it up. user added image

- Hybrid
# 34 28-01-2004 , 05:03 PM
Yeah... good old lightwave. I was lucky if i could make a cylinder... I love mayas user interface, its very easy flow, makes working on it fun. You should like the lava effect, you helped me come up with ituser added image, you should see it animated. Ill send you a clip of it in a bit. Its pretty cool with it all spinning around and glowing.

Clod: Im always open to suggestions because i still havent decided on anythign yet. Personally i was thinking of using some sort of melee weapon... because i think a gun or something might be a little excessive. Maybe blades extruding from the new arms. Incase anyone wants to see the new arms ill throw a render up in a sec.

All i have to do now is redo the legs, it should only take me about 10 minutes... then its onto connecting the legs and shoulder... shouldnt be too hard. ive been thinking about it for a few days and sketched out about 7 possibilities.

# 35 28-01-2004 , 05:19 PM
the new arm. Its a little more lowteck than the old one. But i think it looks better and flows with the model more. In addition it will make it easier to attatch things to it, like armor, weapons, gadgets. so on.

Attached Thumbnails

# 36 28-01-2004 , 05:52 PM
redid parts of the leg, i think they are coming out better. Need to add more wires and find out why the image keep getting blurry...

Attached Thumbnails

# 37 28-01-2004 , 06:44 PM

Last edited by Clod; 28-01-2004 at 06:46 PM.
# 38 28-01-2004 , 07:40 PM
a buzzsaw? that might work but where would i put it?

# 39 28-01-2004 , 09:55 PM

# 40 28-01-2004 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
Twisted, I did not see the answer posted yet. About the glows flickering I think that is solved buy turning off the auto exposure.

# 41 29-01-2004 , 12:41 PM
have the buzz saw in sections that join together

# 42 30-01-2004 , 07:16 AM
Poy, i tried to turn off auto exposure but coudlnt find it anywhere. Do you know where to locate it. The worst part is im pretty sure ive seen it too...

I dont know about a buzz saw. Seems overdone. But it might work as a minor part of a weapon.

# 43 30-01-2004 , 10:54 PM
grr.. i just lost my whole post again...

Anyway. Let me reiderate. This is the first image of his whole body. I did a small animation of his heart and brain.

I need to add a little reinforrcement because he looks a little weak. Then on to rigging.

Attached Thumbnails

# 44 30-01-2004 , 11:23 PM
added some boosters. I think i might need to alter the energy bar along the top... seems a little weird to me.

Attached Thumbnails

# 45 30-01-2004 , 11:25 PM
Subscriber
sorry twisted, I looked around a little for it and I didn't find it. And yeah, drives me nuts becouse I"m sure I'v seen it also.