Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-01-2007 , 12:55 PM
Subscriber

Dark area problems

Hey guys, every so often I get these kind of issues in my models, and am not sure why or how to correct them. I mainly get them when modelling low poly and softening edges. Now I thought maybe this would go away with a texture over the top but it doesn't. I've played any suggestions?

Attached Images

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 2 30-01-2007 , 12:56 PM
Subscriber
two

Attached Images

# 3 30-01-2007 , 12:59 PM
My guess is either your need to merge the vertices on your model or set the poly normals to an angle around 80-ish.

# 4 30-01-2007 , 01:00 PM
Is it not your normals being soft?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 30-01-2007 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
I've just set the normals all hard and that does stop the dark areas, but for gaming purposes how am i supposed to get the soft rounder feel with low polys without this nasty effect?

# 6 30-01-2007 , 01:18 PM
Subscriber
q

Attached Images

# 7 30-01-2007 , 01:21 PM
I'm sure there is a normals shading value that will smooth your model without causing those problems. Trial and error until you find that value.

# 8 30-01-2007 , 01:26 PM
I think either you need to experiment with how soft or hard you make the normals or try selecting which edges you want to be soft and which you would want to be hard. I would select all of the edges, soften them and then select the edges around the rim and harden them. If you are still having problems, make sure that all of the normals are facing the right way - try using the Edit normal tool to see which direction the normals are facing - you can also use the append tool as it highlights borders between faces where the normals are facing the opposite directions.

Hope that made sense.user added image

# 9 30-01-2007 , 01:35 PM
Subscriber
yeah cheers, by default I've always just set the normals to all soft 180 selected the complete geometry and softened. It's quite tedious selected edges at a time but is getting much better results than before.