Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 61 16-01-2010 , 08:58 PM
Lifetime Member

Try this

Tom,

I've made you a 2k star field in Paint Effects for you to try out. See if it's any good. It's bigger that 262kb so I've put it on my dropbox account. Link below.

Starfield TIF Image

It's quite easy to do a particle star field. Change to 'dynamics' menu. Create a nurbs sphere around your scene. Select the sphere and select 'Particles->Emit from Object', set it to emit on surface and set the rate. You will then need to start the playback as the particles will emit as the frames start ticking over. Once you're happy with the amount of particles select the particles, go to the solvers menu and select Solvers->Initial State->Set for selected. Now delete the emitter and the sphere and voila, one particle star field. You'll need to assign a shader and some lighting for the stars. You'll also need to render the particles with the Maya Hardware render and composite your main image and star field image in photoshop or gimp.

Keep up the good work!

Jacques

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 62 17-01-2010 , 12:27 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Tom

It's starting to shape up quite nicely, I haven taken the time to do a paintover just to show you a possible approach to make it more realistic.

What I would suggest is that on the foreground( i suck at painting so I haven't painted it in) you make a controlpanel with on top of that glas maybe even an imperial looking character on the left side, so that it looks like you are watching the scene from a control room or something.
Which adds believeablilty and gives reason to why the camera is way up there.
Most of the other stuff I painted in is obvious and are meant to break up the repetetiveness( is that a word?)that is in the picture.
I have added the space ship and asteroid field( in green) to add depth to your render( be sure to place them at a different depth)

And last work with depth of field to give your scene realism.

user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 63 17-01-2010 , 12:54 PM
Subscriber
Good morning Guys!! Dave you are very right about it being dark. I have added some wall units on the far wall and it brightens it up quite a bit. I will have an update soon and I believe you will see the lighting looks better withe something to reflect.

Dave, thanks for looking at my project and making comments!!

Do have a GOOD day!!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 64 17-01-2010 , 12:59 PM
Subscriber
Halfloaf, I thank you very much for the thought and time you put in the star field. And your explanation on how to make it work seems very simple I will certainly look at it and try out what you have suggested. But, have to be honest and say that I like the background I have. I see that some don't care for it as much. So, if I stick with what I have for now please don't take offense, as I do appreciate the thought and help!!!

And I am very pleased you like what I have done.

Mastone, thanks for the thoughts and comments!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 65 17-01-2010 , 01:37 PM
Lifetime Member
No problem Tom, not all all offended you want to keep your image! It is your project at the end of the day. user added image

mastone has given you a few good tips. Some props on the set will help provide some realism!

Jacques

# 66 17-01-2010 , 05:28 PM
Subscriber
om, if i might offer a suggestion..
Forgive if you are not still using the background with the NEbular gas in it..
But if you are, Try seperating the Gas and the stars into seperate images..
Place the stars on a larger sphere on the outer edge of the scene, then place the image for the nebula on a sphere inside of that one a bit, Making sure that you have the texture map outside of the nebula set to a solid color with an alpha to render so that its transparent...This will help add a depth of field to your stars and your nebula, makgin them look more realistic, you might also go as far as to actually model geometry that is similar in shape to the nebula, and texture it with the nebula image, and place it in the scene, to add a bit more depth.

This would allow you to keep the image you have that you like, yet satisfy the depth of field issue also.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 67 17-01-2010 , 08:37 PM
Subscriber
legendofzombi, yes I am very sure something like that would help with the depth of the picture and add to the illusion. I will check on that!! Thanks!!

Halfloaf, I had started modeling the stuff for the far wall, when it was obvious I needed to spend time on the background picture after the comments. Just finished that yesterday morning. So it is, and was, in the works. Just takes me a little while. I sure hope you think it comes off alright.

Again, many thanks for viewing and commenting on my work!!

# 68 17-01-2010 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber
legendofzombi, doing some study on what you suggested. I like the idea!! And even maybe just another star field. Got me thinking!!

Halfloaf, read my post again, I did not mean to come off as I did. Sorry! Should have read it over before I sent it! I do have a lot more plans for the Landing Bay, well maybe not a lot. But will try and make that wall interesting.

# 69 17-01-2010 , 10:07 PM
Lifetime Member
Nah is Ok, no offence taken. Will keep an eye on progress you make! user added image

# 70 17-01-2010 , 10:15 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by oldhippie_tom

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...yOrgRender.png

I`m so sorry I miss this before but have not been in this part of Simply Maya for awhile. 1st thing glad your going back to this as it looked awesome in the challenge but I was with Mike the final render (although funny) did not show this off, and secondly Loving the progress so far.

# 71 18-01-2010 , 02:29 AM
Subscriber
Good to see you also Tweety!! I know you and Mike did not like my choice of a stage, but Hammer gave me a vote. But had to go with the thought, ya know? As the prize or badge meant nothing. It was just fun. I was so embarrassed on my attempt at the texture, just had to try one more time. Thanks for looking at my project. I have seen you work in the challenge and you are doing really good!! Thanks Tweety!!

# 72 18-01-2010 , 12:24 PM
Subscriber
A very good morning everyone!! I hope you enjoyed the weekend.

Wanted to post a update. Have some more modeling done, but more to do. This is the stage that I am at.

Dave, hope this is a little lighter now that the lights have something to reflect. Moved the globe with the background as far as I can for the moment. I will spend time with the background, but now working on the inside.

Have a good day and week. Thanks for visiting my project!!

Original Render Link (1200X900):

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...18thUpdate.png

Attached Thumbnails

# 73 18-01-2010 , 08:08 PM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
Thats a lot better, really needs some thing to get the scale of the ship and hanger (person maybe, oil brum)........dave

# 74 18-01-2010 , 08:21 PM
Yeah, this is looking much better already.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 75 18-01-2010 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Dave and Perfecto. I am working with the texture on the walls and floors. It is quite abit brighter and I think I like it that way. When I first started it didn't know where I would go with the texture of the walls.

Guys, I am very pleased that you like it, I really am!!