Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 06-02-2004 , 09:24 PM

uv map(?) problem

Hi folks... again with a problem that don´t let me sleep. user added image

i made a char (my first) out of a cube. Used SubD and converted it then to a poly object. till now no problem.

But i wanted to assign, just for test, fur to it. Well, the fur was only on one part of the object. only on the front of the head. No way to get the fur on the other parts work.
Ok, never used it and thought i am just to stupid for it. BUT, i tryed to make a uv map of it and there is only a part of the head too. But i selected everything of the object. I don´t added anything. is all out of one singel cube.

Here are two pics of it. Maybe you understand my problem and don´t have to try to understand my BAD english. user added image

user added image

and here the map of the object:

user added image

Hope you can help me.

Thx a lot!

Martin aka Auctor

# 2 06-02-2004 , 10:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yep, you need to UV map the object. Probably be easiest to do this at a stage before the conversion to SubD.

# 3 07-02-2004 , 07:50 AM
ah, thx... yes it works.

thx soooo much for helping me.

ps.: the comic stripts on your page are just genius. *G* could be me in there. user added image

# 4 07-02-2004 , 12:50 PM
hi.. me again with a "problem".

Now, i can attach fur on my object. But, the Fur is on the whole object. ok, with the artisan tool it is possible to "paint" the fur. Well, at least in theory. I think i have a bug in my tool. user added image

First, if i paint fur let´s say to the feets of my monster, it also apears on the head on some parts. And i don´t know why.
But anyway, i have some strange behaviors with the sculpt tool. I don´t know if that is normal. If i select the brush and just go with the mouse over the object a lot of "R"´s (for replace i think) apear on it. i don´t klick. just go with the mouse over it. If i move the mouse out of the object the "stuff" is still there.

Here is a pic of it. The mousepointer is not on the object.

user added image

I think i read somethere of a Bug with ATI cards (work on a laptop and have a Radeon 9000 mobility). Could it be that? Or is it just normal behavior?

And, is it possible to select faces and just add fur to that selected faces? i don´t found anything in the manual about it. Or is there another way to do it? (except the sculpt tool).

thx again for your help. i don´t know what i would do without you folks... user added image Great community here. (not like in the other boards there you could not post if you are a "newbie")

Greets

Martin

# 5 07-02-2004 , 03:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
If the UVs of your feet are using the same UV space of the head, then when you paint on the feet, the head will also recieve it. When you layout UVs, fit them all in the upper right corner of the UV Editor, as the map will tile from that square.