SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Second License

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

03-04-2006, 03:08 AM   #1
arran

Second License
Hello

At the moment I have maya 6.5 Complete installed on my PC. I am on the verge of buying a laptop and I am hoping to install maya on to this second computer. I have read on SM that to do this I would need to buy a second license from Alias / Autodesk which will cost about $150.

My question is, if I install maya on to my laptop will I be able to run maya on both computers at the same time so that my girlfriend and I can both work? If I understand correctly, a dongle would be no good as it only lets you use maya on the computer it is plugged into.

Any help is much appreciated. Cheers

arran3D blog
03-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
micgaz
Subscriber

Hi Arran,

the only way to run Maya on two machines at the same time is to have two seperate licences. Just been through this scenario, and ended up getting a new licence.

cheers,
mic
03-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
arran

Hi Mic - thanks for replying.

so does that mean you had to buy a second copy of maya, or can you buy just a second license for your existing copy? Sorry, I'm new to this and it's kind of confusing.

I spoke to alias and I think they said I need a floating license which I have to get from my vendor (Boxx), but I have yet to hear back from them.

Arran

arran3D blog
03-04-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
micgaz
Subscriber

No probs Arran,

yeah, I got a new copy of Maya. Being an educational buyer this worked out the best way for me.
As I understand it a second licence for your existing copy would amount to the same, in terms of the damage to your pocket.
A floating licence would work, but might be the most expensive way of doing it. Not entirely sure there.....

Its a question of maths.

Good luck,
mic
03-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
arran

Hi Mic,

Thanks for your help mate - It's much appreciated.

I certainly can't afford to purchase another copy of maya. I am not a student and so I can't get it for cheap. I am wondering if it's possible to upgrade my single node license to a floating license.... Or if it's possible to use two dongles so we can both work at once. What a headache.

Thanks again.

Arran

arran3D blog

Last edited by arran; 03-04-2006 at 09:49 PM.