SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Maya Questions / Dynamics & Special Effects / Bake soft body as geometry

Dynamics & Special Effects Maya Particles, nDynamics, Fluids, Rigid Bodies & General VFX

Join the conversation. Reply to post

07-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
stwert
EduSciVis-er

Bake soft body as geometry
Hey, got a dynamics for modelling question.
I wanted to use a soft body to quickly model a rock.
I created a sphere, made it a soft body, applied a turbulence to the resulting particles, and hit play...
Great! It gives me a nice jaggy looking rock after playing with the attenuation etc a bit.

Now, I'd like to bake that object so I can use it as regular geometry, but I'm a bit stuck with that. I tried edit > keys > bake simulation, and that gave me keys, but they didn't seem to work (scrubbing messed up the sim). Anyone have a series of steps that could work with this?

Thanks so much!
07-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
bendingiscool
Subscriber

Could use a lattice to shape the rock instead?

Chris
07-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
stwert
EduSciVis-er

Thanks for the reply. I could try a lattice, but I'd still have to scuplt it myself, and probably wouldn't give me the jagginess I'm looking for.
12-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
NextDesign
Technical Director

Export it as an obj file, as obj only contains geometry and uv information. This will bake the geometry to the current frame.
12-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
stwert
EduSciVis-er

Thanks for the idea NextDesign... I'll give that a try.
Another method I ended up trying and using was to select all faces of a sphere and extrude them out, then up the randomness in the inputs. The result is similar to a turbulence.