Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 27-02-2005 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber
BTW: I've just downloaded and started looking at Voodoo Camera Tracker . This is one of their Test Clips

Its free so I'm not sure how good it is.

Cheers
Paul

# 32 28-02-2005 , 09:39 AM
Subscriber
Hi BMS

Just took a quick look at the Voodoo camera tracker, it looks like it works a bit like Boujou. The test clip was good. I haven't heard of that piece of software so I can't really comment on how good it might be, but if you like it and it works good for you, then great! 3de, Live and Boujou I think are just the 3 most well know and widely used tracking software, but I'm sure there are lots of others out and about that are just as effective.

LisaG :p

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 33 28-02-2005 , 10:41 AM
Subscriber
Not sure how good it is either.

I tried a 10 second clip and it did well, then I tried a 5 second clip and it kept on crashing. I guess that's expected from Beta Software. user added image

I'm going to have a play with Maya Live next.

BTW: I'm a newbie at this user added image

Cheers
Paul

# 34 28-02-2005 , 12:06 PM
Subscriber
I think that Maya Live is a good choice for if you are new to tracking. If you are used to using Maya, then the interface is lovely to use, especially the interface for tracking the points - its difficult to find a piece of software that tracks points faster. I also think that it makes you think about your shots a bit more, rather than just letting it run through Boujou, you can have more input into the shot. You can also select which points you want to track, so its great for learning what are good and bad points to track. The solver isn't great, but if you are using it for just small personal projects, it should do you well. I've got some great solves out of very difficult shots using it.

Good luck with it,

LisaG

# 35 28-02-2005 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
Hey Lisa,

feel free to waffle on, because what you type definitely isnt waffle. If I find anything frustrating about forums its when people dont talk enough! It's great that you're willing to share you're knowledge.

Wow, I didnt realise you were working on movies, in fact I dont know what I thought! Are you allowed to tell us what movies they are? Sounds awesome.

How does Maya Live cope with zoom? I havent given that a go yet.

Oh yeah, BMS, I agree, I hope people find this an interesting thread. We're really lucky that someone like Lisa found it!

All the best,
Geo.

# 36 28-02-2005 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
I'm glad that people are learning new things through this thread, thats what makes this website fab!

Yes, I think I can say what films I'm working on, but I won't say anything about them. The good thing about tracking is you get to work on lots of different films. At the moment I'm working on Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate factory.

user added image

# 37 28-02-2005 , 02:16 PM
Subscriber
WOW! That's a proper movie!

I was expecting something a little more low-key... you must be a tracking genious!

How is the job going?... or is that confidential....

# 38 28-02-2005 , 02:43 PM
Subscriber
lol! I wouldn't say I'm a tracking genius at all! I've only been doing it for nearly 6 months, but I'm really enjoying it. There is so much that I've learnt, the difference in the learning curve from being at Uni to working in the industry is massive! I do other things as well as tracking, such as 3d roto and modelling bits for scenes for camera alignment. Its also pretty cool being surrounded by people who do lots of other different things, such as texturing, compositing, effects and animation....you get to pick up loads of little tricks and tips.

LisaG user added image

# 39 01-03-2005 , 05:52 AM
Subscriber
Sorry . . . I posted a problem I was having and after spending 2 hours trying to work out what I was doing wrong, I found the problem. Sorry about the post guys user added image

Here is my first attempt at Maya Live

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by BMS; 01-03-2005 at 06:56 AM.
# 40 01-03-2005 , 09:26 AM
Subscriber
Looks really good, BMS. I think there's a a bobble at the end, but its really hard to tell as the video clip was quite small for me. Great job though :tup:

LisaG

# 41 01-03-2005 , 10:44 AM
Subscriber
I actually cheated Lisa user added image

I used Blu Tac markers on the Table, two of which are covered by the Cube and Pyramid user added image

Well that was my first ever Tracking, thanks to your help and this thread. It's bed time here in Australia, but I will probably post again tomorrow with some questions. My brain is in Neutral at the moment.

Cheers
Paul

# 42 01-03-2005 , 11:12 AM
Subscriber
Thats not cheating! It fine for you to add your own tracking markers, in fact, it makes the job so much easier!! You may have to composite them out though in post, if you place tracking markers in visible positions where you won't have objects covering them. I say good thinking! Blu-tack - I would never have thought of that! I just wish they'd done that in some of the shots I've worked on, it would have saved a lot of grief, lol!

# 43 01-03-2005 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber
Hey Lisa and BMS.

Liked the track, I thought you did a great job.

Funny you mentioned blu-tak, for my first attempts I used pink post-its... then used colored plastercine! Great mind thinks alike... ahem.

Lisa, about markers... if you're going to put your own in, is there any particular size, shape or color, positioning etc to get the best results? I heard Boujou favours sideways 'T' shapes.

Obviously, I know not to use black markers on a black wall or anything like that, I'm just interested what someone from a professional POV would do.

Anyway,
Thanks again.

Hope to see some more examples on the thread. I'll try and do another soon.

# 44 01-03-2005 , 04:37 PM
Subscriber
Crosses or circular markers, like LEDs, seem to work well in Boujou (and Live and 3de also). Markers in shots that I have worked on tend to be paper crosses stuck on walls, etc, or LED's. Bright colours that show up against the background are good, such as red, but I've also found that it can be good to track in black and white. As long as you can distinguish between the marker and background easily, and can tell what is the centre of the marker, you shouldn't have a problem.

LisaG user added image

# 45 01-03-2005 , 09:19 PM
Subscriber
Lisa,

Here is a Higher Data Rate version of the same file.

I've been thinking about this render and I noticed the Watch and Digital camera both have a reflection in the table, how would this normally be addressed?

le_geo

Blu Tac was all I had, I guess I could have used a marker on the Table, but not sure if the wife would have appreciated that user added image

I actually tried tracking the same scene without the Blu Tac and found I needed too many points. I used 6 points in total for that scene.

Cheers
Paul