Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-01-2009 , 02:34 AM
Subscriber

Sand Speeder reference planes/images

I have tried several times times to get the reference images to "fit" both poly and nurbs planes, as per the tutorial- I'm not new to Maya, although haven't worked in it for a while. I'm using Maya 2009 so there must be something I'm not seeing-

I have units prefs set to cm, and all I'm able to get is stretched/distorted images.
Please see attached - thank you.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-01-2009 , 02:59 AM
The Nurb Herd
instead of using geometry try just importing the image planes. Go to the side camera then under select I think, at the bottom there is image plane>import image plane. Then select the side picture

# 3 08-01-2009 , 03:09 AM
Subscriber
Thanks- it just drives my crazy that I can't map the texture to a plane properly...

Using a plane allows for repositioning, using layers to hide, and gives a view on both sides of the plane. Earlier versions created a "default" surface at the origin, rather than having the user drag out a less than accurate surface on the grid- and then have to manipulate it afterwards.

# 4 08-01-2009 , 03:16 AM
The Nurb Herd
under the create menu go to nurbs or polygons> interactive creation untick that. Perhaps scaling a planar projection would make it fit. But I reckon you could hide the image planes using the alpha gain or something.

# 5 08-01-2009 , 03:17 AM
Subscriber
Nice- Thanks!

# 6 08-01-2009 , 06:24 AM
Subscriber
i assume there was something wrong with the UV layout for the plane

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D