Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 15-11-2005 , 08:32 PM

Texturing

I know this is probably a really simple question, but I can't figure it out.

For my headlight bulb I wanted an orange texture for a turn signal and so I did the uv texture and brought it in maya and it looks like it is only showing up where the edge of the polygons are, and the rest is transparant.

I wanted the whole bulb to be textured, not just the edges like you can see in the image below. Any suggestions or tips!?

Thanks so much!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 15-11-2005 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber
Try applying a default checkers texture and see how the UV's are laid out... If the checkers map is distorted, you need toe lay out the UV's, which you should be able to do pretty simply by using spherical projection.

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 3 15-11-2005 , 08:41 PM
I did the default checker texture and it looks like it is working fine.

I have no idea why my texture with the light all the sudden went transparent. It wasnt suppose to be transparent at all.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 15-11-2005 , 08:43 PM
In the photoshop file it did have opacity turned down, but I don't think that would make a difference and make it automatically be transparent.

Any more ideas?

# 5 16-11-2005 , 02:46 PM
porhaps it could be that when you have brough tthe texture from photoshop and plugged it into your material, it has created a default transparency node. Ally uohave to do is look on the material in hypoershade and delete the transparency node and then it will work.
Let me know how you get on

# 6 16-11-2005 , 03:55 PM
Ah ha! Great suggestion, you are a genius. I found the transparancy node and deleted it and that did the trick. I just dont understand how it got a transparancy node in the first place?

Thanks for the help!

Attached Images
# 7 02-12-2005 , 01:10 PM
thank you ....beatıfull:attn: :attn:

# 8 02-12-2005 , 08:53 PM
YOu didnt happen to save it as a 32 bit targa, cuz those have a built in, not transparancy, but alpha map, which shows up the same in Maya.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 9 03-12-2005 , 02:22 PM
I did. Thats probably the problem!

Is there a better way to save?

# 10 03-12-2005 , 02:25 PM
Yeah, lol save it as a high quality JPeg

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 11 03-12-2005 , 02:29 PM
Oh ok, that way it wont save out the alpha channel? Thats a good thing to know.

Do you know much about Tiff files when you render? I have had a wierd compression problem happen when I render in a tiff and bring it into photoshop. Like the background of the image is transparent! Check it out:

Even the black on the car is transparent! I have no idea what the problem is.

Attached Images
# 12 19-12-2005 , 09:32 PM

Originally posted by clopper
porhaps it could be that when you have brough tthe texture from photoshop and plugged it into your material, it has created a default transparency node. Ally uohave to do is look on the material in hypoershade and delete the transparency node and then it will work.
Let me know how you get on

I do have photoshop, I didn't know you could convert it over. I will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion guy

maya works