Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 01-12-2002 , 01:56 AM
Subscriber

Cost of monitors

for those who have a multi monitor system, did you buy 2 cheap monitors (without all the fancy stuff like anti glare etc etc) or did you buy one really good monitor (which doesnt blind you) and then later on purchase a second really good one?

another thing, does it matter what connections a monitor has if its to be used dual? are there only certain types of plugs which can fit in a multi monitor capable gfx card?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 2 01-12-2002 , 02:04 AM
Subscriber
i bought both good ones.. i bought a viewsonic e70f and an LG F700B... both anit-glare, eyestrain free, perfect flat monitors...
according to me the Viewsonic rocked... i say it is the best of the 17" monitor lot... anyway,,

there are card that come with a DVI and D-SUB.. D-SUB beign the normat VGA connector... you connect your 1 st monitor to the D-SUB connector just as you would with a normal monitor... then use a DVI-DSUB adapter and plugin your second monitor.... and these types of cards are called dual-heads...

no... you can use any normal monitor for a dual-head graphics card..you only need the adapter(which came with my gfx card)..

hope it helps,
Tariquser added image

# 3 01-12-2002 , 02:09 AM
Subscriber
thx for the fast reply

do you HAVE to have the adaptor? shouldnt the gfx card have 2 ports for 2 monitors if it supports two?

the only reason im asking is cos i dont know what to do, i would like to get 2 really good monitors, but seein as my budget is £1700 for an entirely new system...eep!
how much did both your really good monitors cost?

how cheap do you think a 19inch CRT (maybe TFT), and a 15inch TFT would be?

- Simon

# 4 01-12-2002 , 02:29 AM
Subscriber
a 19" crt would cost around 1300 SR... and a 15 inch TFT about 1250 SR... $ = SR / 3.75 (can you do the math please..user added image)

mine, totally nearly costs about 1500 SR.. the viewsonic was a bit expensive, 980 SR...

roughly would come around 700$.... and 1700£ i think is enough for a good maya box with dual monitors....

questions are welcome..
Tariq

# 5 01-12-2002 , 02:34 AM
Subscriber
yes.. i have the adaptor.. and i have a Asus V8640 Ultra 128... (nvidia Ti4600) card... and if you are buying a monitor (TFT or LCD) with a DVI connector you dont need the adaptor.. just plugin the monitor to the graphics card.. and the other one into the DSUB port...

btw, yes a graphics card should have 2 ports if you want dualmonitors,

another option: get a seperate PCI vga card for your second monitor... and windows will take the port of that with as the secondary monitor port,

Hope it helps,
Tariq

# 6 01-12-2002 , 02:52 AM
Subscriber
i was goin to get a ti4600, but im waitin for the new gf FX now user added image that shud support multi monitor displays user added image so no need for an adaptor hopefully

are there any sites i can take a look at for these monitors? they need to be as cheap as possible, im in the UK btw user added image

i dont think £1700 is enough, dual AMD MP system with 2 monitors, 1gb of DDR ram, hmmm user added image

- Simon

Last edited by Nem; 01-12-2002 at 02:54 AM.
# 7 01-12-2002 , 03:52 AM
SM Alumni
Get a pair of Samsung 900NF's they are my favourite monitors right now.... VERY nice.

"You know you've done your job right when nobody notices"

"Don't quote me boy cause I ain't said sh*t"
# 8 01-12-2002 , 04:00 AM
Subscriber
ooh sounds good, but i want a black monitor user added image i no im picky, but it must go with the theme (black case, black speakers etc etc)
are there anymore like that samsung one? completely flat screen?

oh and my smaller monitor MUST be TFT and about 15minches otherwise ill have no room, my primary one can be TFT but that would cost quite a bit as i want taht one no less than 19inches

- Simon

# 9 01-12-2002 , 04:08 AM
SM Alumni
The dpi on TFTs are horrible... expecially for gaming or designing... I find they make me sick.

"You know you've done your job right when nobody notices"

"Don't quote me boy cause I ain't said sh*t"
# 10 01-12-2002 , 04:14 AM
Subscriber
i dont get whats so horrible about them?
theres absolutely no way i can buy 2 CRTs, just no room here user added image so at least one must be TFT user added image

- Simon

# 11 01-12-2002 , 04:38 AM
SM Tea Boy
TFT for design work is a no go, there ok for your standard bit of typing but for gfx work forget it.

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 12 01-12-2002 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber
why is it a no go?
would it be ok to do things like composite on a TFT?
i dnt get whats wrong with them

- Simon

# 13 01-12-2002 , 09:55 AM
Subscriber
tft is of course not a no go. especially if you do compositing as you see every pixel individually. on a crt the pixel smear together and create a "antialiased" picture. if you want the true picture on the screen you have to have a tft. contrast is way better then on a crt - and you have no flimmering at all. unfortunately tft are too expensive - and like crt, the cheap tft do you no favour at all.

hope that helps

# 14 01-12-2002 , 01:31 PM
Subscriber
ok, now u lot are confusing me! user added image
if you have to have a tft, it must be big? how big?

- Simon

# 15 01-12-2002 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
nem, i did not mean to confuse you. if you only get a 15" tft you are struck to 1024x768 - and 17" tft mostly have that resolution too, but there are ones that are at least 1280x1024 or higher. a 15" tft is about as big (from useable place) like a 17" crt, a 18" tft about as big as a 21" crt. and there are analog tft, that get a normal analog signal - this you dont want to have, you better get a tft with digital (dvi) input - but you video card needs to support dvi out. most modern graphics cards that have 2 monitor support have one dvi and one analog output.

and one advice, never ever buy a tft without seeing if you like the image and that there are no pixel defect (you need to let you show a white and a black picture to see this).