Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 24-01-2007 , 09:11 AM
Subscriber

coiled rug and potted plantd

Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about modeling a coiled rug? Just the basic modeling. Thanks
Also, anything on potted plants? How to make them.

Peace,
MoonRender_2

"We love people for their perfections but stay with them forever for their faults"
# 2 24-01-2007 , 09:44 AM
well for the potted plant i'd make a pot, then with a poly plane or cube i'd create a (slightly uneven) surface to represent the soil, then you can either model your plant or look at paint effects.

for the coiled rug, i'd start with the cv curve tool and make a spiral, then make a nurbs circle and extrude with the options tube, at path, closest end point, and path direction (profile normal doesn't seem to make a difference here). if you want a more oval rug you can try scaling the spiral curve in one direction and then tightening the cvs so there's not a gap at the ends.

edit: or you could just use a flattened, scaled cylinder and just texture it well. user added image

Accept no substitutions.

Last edited by NeoStrider; 24-01-2007 at 09:52 AM.
# 3 24-01-2007 , 08:48 PM
Subscriber
you could use the bend deformer if you want to animate it. This is very rough, very fast, but you get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 24-01-2007 , 08:49 PM
Subscriber
using the translation tool in ,,. move in Z

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 24-01-2007 at 09:32 PM.
# 5 25-01-2007 , 05:55 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the replies guys,

NeoStrider: I had gotten as far as extruding with the CV curve tool with the NURBS but I thought that a circle wouldn't cut it. I will try that again. Does anyone know why it's so much harder to extrude with the NURBS square? That was my original thought that the edge of a carpet is square so....

mirek03: I don't think that this will be animated but you gave me a new tool to play with, thanks.user added image

Peace,
MoonRender_2

"We love people for their perfections but stay with them forever for their faults"
# 6 25-01-2007 , 06:51 AM
oh ok i thought you meant a coiled rug like... not a rug that was rolled up, but made of coils.

Accept no substitutions.