Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 16-02-2008 , 11:20 AM

Brontosaurus Model

Hey all,

I've been working on this the past few hours. One of my first models and just want some feedback on the geometry.

user added image

Thanks, Eric

# 2 16-02-2008 , 11:39 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looking like a nice start.

You have allot of edges running down the back for the length of the body. From head to tail. You don't want to have any edges clustered in small groups, if you do, when it comes time to smooth the model. Your going to have really dense patches of geo, and other that can barely hold they're form.
As a rule. Your geo should be evenly spaced, or at least as much as possible.
Nice work user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 19-02-2008 , 04:58 AM
I fixed the geometry and started working on texturing based on the Tree Frog Tutorial.
I have laid out the colored parts so far and I am a little nervous that I'm not doing it right. Any tips or feedback on how it came out?

user added image

user added image

Thanks, Eric

# 4 19-02-2008 , 06:43 AM
Yeah, very sweat model. That's a good start also let's watch your texturing. keep it up!

user added image

# 5 19-02-2008 , 06:45 AM
Jr.Who
Can you post a pic of what the UVs look like?

# 6 19-02-2008 , 08:08 AM
I haven't done anything with the UV's. They are probably a mess, but im going to sort them out tomorrow.

So you all think this set up will work well for setting up the UV's?
Thanks

# 7 19-02-2008 , 12:57 PM
Lifetime Member
Am I right in thinking you are going to do a different projection for each colour ?
If so think about which pieces can be sewn together afterward in the uv editor to make as few seems as possible and try to hide them where they won't be seen ie under the body or arm pit ect.
Right now you have a few triangles in your mesh in prominent places like the shoulderblade, if you plan on smoothing this then you might get some nasty smoothing in these areas.I would try to get rid of the triangles before UV mapping or at least move them to a less prominent place.
A nice model though for one of your first attempts,it has some character.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 8 19-02-2008 , 10:16 PM
jsprogg: yeah thats what im going to try. I've never done this so I hope it works out. I fixed the triangles on the shoulder and the model is now about 97% quads. I'm moving some color strips to try and put the seems in places less noticeable. I'll post some pics when I get some more ground.

# 9 20-02-2008 , 12:02 AM
Here's my UV Layout so far.
Don't get me wrong, I think I'm totally doing it wrong. But maybe its salvageable?
Please any help, I thought modeling was frustrating... :headbang:

user added image

Thanks Again