Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 13-03-2008 , 11:58 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by alexanderH
these are really starting to look great jr who.
Can't wait to see this project when its all done! and as you start to model the heads for each piece too. I guess thats an important part haha.

Thanks, but… what do you mean about the heads? These pieces are finished.

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
Umm... why are they supposed to be there if the texture should hide them...?

They're there, but the texture should make them a lot less obvious. In the real thing, there's more detail (in the front), but I can't do it without ZB.

Anyway, got a bunch of the blocking out done on the table last night (sorry, no pic user added image ) and I'm going to try to finish that and move onto the chair today.

# 32 14-03-2008 , 12:29 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
In the real thing, there's more detail (in the front), but I can't do it without ZB.

Bet you you could if you thought about it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 33 14-03-2008 , 12:51 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Bet you you could if you thought about it.

I've thought about it and tried it, but it looks really messy.

# 34 14-03-2008 , 04:43 AM
Not even with a disp map?

# 35 14-03-2008 , 05:18 AM
If he gonna use a displacement map he might aswell do the displacement map in ZBrush....

# 36 14-03-2008 , 06:05 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Not even with a disp map?

If he gonna use a displacement map he might aswell do the displacement map in ZBrush....

Exactly. I am beginning to hate Pixologic a little more every time I work on this project…

# 37 14-03-2008 , 09:15 AM
Jr.Who
Jeez, this table is proving harder than I thought, I keep discovering little details to put in. I don't even want to know how bad the chairs are going to be! Need to put a lot more work into this one…

Here's the current progress:

Attached Thumbnails
# 38 14-03-2008 , 09:17 AM
Jr.Who
Here's a close-up of the bottom of the table. This is going to be a pain, cause in my reference it looks like it all meshes together, though I might just leave it separate so that I don't have to mess with booleans. user added image

I don't know though… what would be better, joining it and screwing around with booleans, or leaving them separate?

Attached Thumbnails
# 39 14-03-2008 , 03:05 PM

Why If he aint got it then work round it... Sledge hammer to crack a nut... Plus Jrwho will get used to the workflow of adding a disp map to it and rendering, using a simple map over a full 32 bit floating point map.

# 40 20-03-2008 , 02:58 PM
Jr.Who
Woah, I can't believe it's been that long since my last update! Finally got the modeling finished. The HD renders took a half an hour a piece, so I should be prepared for the Maxwell renders now. user added image

If you look on my site, you’ll find the HD pics (which I would highly recommend doing).

-Steven

Attached Thumbnails
# 41 20-03-2008 , 02:59 PM
Jr.Who
Here's the second shot. Andreas, you should be getting some mail soon. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 20-03-2008 , 04:55 PM
It looks great!

# 43 20-03-2008 , 05:16 PM
Hey, looking fine. I got your email but I can't answer it, I get a "unknown receiptant" when I try to send it.....

Here's what I wrote anyways:

well you only need to lay out the UV's if your material is using an image. If you only use colors there's no need for laying out the UV's. You don't have to use Studio at all, you can create materials, lights etc. and render directly from Maya with the plugin. But if you want to you export the whole scene and import it to studio and assign materials, set up lights and render from there.

# 44 20-03-2008 , 06:31 PM
Jr.Who
Thanks, zujalica!

well you only need to lay out the UV's if your material is using an image. If you only use colors there's no need for laying out the UV's. You don't have to use Studio at all, you can create materials, lights etc. and render directly from Maya with the plugin. But if you want to you export the whole scene and import it to studio and assign materials, set up lights and render from there.

OK, so that means that I don't need to map out the pieces then. Awesome, that makes it much easier!

Now, I'm going to need to map the board and some other small things, so after I map them I just apply the color map on the material like usual?

And for the material, I found a couple on the net that I like, but they need some adjusting. Is is easy to edit MXMs?

# 45 20-03-2008 , 08:16 PM
The materials are pretty much the same as maya's materials except that the parameters is pretty different :p I recommend reading the manual, they explain the parameters pretty good there. Changing colors for example are easy though.