Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 30-04-2007 , 11:21 PM

Sharp the knife

Hi,
guys could you please tell me how I can make this knife look real sharp?
(It's Leon's knife in Resident Evil 4 I have modeled!!!)

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-04-2007 , 11:28 PM
Pretending this sorry cubic box (that I whiped up in about 15 seconds user added image ) is your knife, you could add an edge in on the side, and pull them out a bit.

Another thing you might want to look into would be the bevel tool (In Maya 7.0, it's in the Modeling menu set, Edit Polygons -> Bevel).

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 02-05-2007 , 05:48 PM
you could also just grab the edges I have marked in red and go to edit polygons>collapse.

hope you don't mind me using your image severinianthony. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 05-05-2007 , 02:11 AM
If you have a later version, you may have to shift, right click and then select "Merge/Collapse Edge" from the marking menu and then select "Collapse Edge".

I have Maya 8.5 and I don't have Collapse in my Edit Mesh Menu set but there is an icon for callapse in my Polygon Shelf.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 13-05-2007 , 04:42 AM
Hi,
Thanks but the ways you have mentioned need much time to do for me, because my knife has too many edges and vertices. Isn't there a quicker way for it?
thks

# 6 13-05-2007 , 02:21 PM
post a wire of your knife so we can see it - it shouldn't take long to do - if your knife has too many edges and vertices, it's probably because you've made it too complicated. it should be really easy to just select all of the edges along the side you want to be sharp and just hit collapse.

# 7 13-05-2007 , 07:53 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
select your knive, rmb click==>edges, select one of the formentioned edges and then press f3 and look in the edit polygon menu ==>selection==>convert to edge ring
when you hit this every edge around the cutting edge of your model will be selected, deselect(hold ctrl) the edges you don't want to be sharp.
press and hold shift and rmb and select collapse edges in the merge collapse menu.

hope this helped

good luckuser added image

# 8 14-05-2007 , 12:35 AM
Subscriber
im working on a sword thing right now and what i did was have 2 more verticies in the middle of 2 other verticies on the edge of the sword and just brought them to gether and merged them and did some tweeking, to make it look better.

Do what you like, like what you do.