Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-09-2003 , 12:31 AM

what does maya 5.0 offer

well i've been using maya 4.0 for a long time and i recently got 5.0.. what features and options have they added to 5.0? :bgreen:

# 2 07-09-2003 , 12:32 AM
Lots of little things a few new modeling tools..... interagted mental ray and vector rendering. If your have unlimited you have the new fluid effects...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 07-09-2003 , 12:34 AM
i used to do this locator setup for the feet in 4.0 that made it so they always stay planted and it won't work in 5.0 -_- ... is there a hair option like xsi?

# 4 07-09-2003 , 01:53 PM
Subscriber
mayas hair/fur is availble only in unlimited (i think)
however, the fur control in maya is nowhere near as good as XSI, but the rest of the dynamics in maya are light years ahead of most other programs

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 5 08-09-2003 , 08:30 PM
Subscriber
paint fx to poly (woot)

MR integration

read the what's new in the pdf that came with it.

# 6 08-09-2003 , 09:30 PM
Subscriber
Is that 'Ponds' (for creating water) only in the Unlimited then????
Because I saw a bit of a Tutorial on it, it looked a very simple way of creating water, sort of like 'Terragen' or a Game editor where you just raise the height...But what do I know.... user added image

Scraggy

# 7 10-09-2003 , 06:58 PM
Subscriber
Talking of Maya 5, I have just been looking at it's new features, especially the character rigging and animation ones. Well, I could fall flat on my back cos I just seen some new constraints added (Parent) and a new option for keeping the offsets.

For those of you who haven't done character animation these are a real bonus! They endear Maya 5 to me immediately. Now I can make my character walk along with his hat on, take it off and leave it on the table without having to make different versions and invisible hats

Funny thing is (KEVIN - I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS) that I have been able to do this in A:M for several years

But now I can do it in Maya without the crashing...

Just a bit of excitement for us character animators!

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 8 11-09-2003 , 02:45 PM
how is the mental ray integration with maya 5?

# 9 11-09-2003 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber
MR is no longer a downloaded plugin, it is part of the package. All the renders have been put into one place.

you can render PFX after converting to polys
render Sub D
bake improvements
export to many diffrent formats including HDR format

there must be more..

# 10 12-09-2003 , 03:31 PM
Subscriber
it must be said that altho MR is integrated into maya, it is still a load of bollox compared to 1) the standalone plugin and 2) the MR integration in other packages like XSI

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com