Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 14-04-2009 , 11:49 PM

Spaceship Challenge:Mtnhome3d:Earthlings

I'll try this challenge. i have been looking at the other entries and decided to have a go. so i have decided to do a civilian Quick Orbital Transport. its planetary based and breaks into a low orbit for rapid transport across the globe. i have the shuttle mostly modeled. might add detail but i think i'll do most of that in texturing. hears a quick low res screeny of the ship. i am currently working out material problems. any suggestions are welcome. i'm trying to get a material that looks like this one here but can't get it right.
https://www.danielsimon.net/artdata/i...ctrain_010.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mtnhome3d; 15-04-2009 at 12:05 AM.
# 2 15-04-2009 , 04:18 AM
here's an update
i added a door and messed with the proportions on the engines. i also got some textures on the shuttle. i think i'll go on to model the interior.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 15-04-2009 , 04:45 AM
Here's a new render, nothing new except the background. i wish i had a star Hdri map

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 15-04-2009 , 05:37 PM
cool - i'm really liking the design of the ship and colors. user added image not sure about the image on the door tho.

# 5 15-04-2009 , 07:42 PM
Hey, thanks Arran user added image what don't you like about the image on the door?
anyway as an update. i've been working on the interior and have the stuff in the cockpit blocked out. i'm sorta going with a C130 style cockpit and making it look more like a space ship. this should be fun to texture. i never have been one for textures so this should be a good learning experience. i am also going to re-do the wings to accommodate landing gear. also i need to make it more of a "vtol" spacecraft to accommodate the landing gear i'm going to make.

# 6 16-04-2009 , 06:00 PM
hmmm - i just think the image on the door and back looks a bit slapped on - it looks too big and not really placed with much care - plus i don't really get using a coat of arms on a spaceship - you know - it's like your saying: here's something really new and i've put something old on it... old/new - wow - crazy! it just seems a bit obvious and that sort of thing has been done to death.

just my 2 cents tho. user added image

# 7 17-04-2009 , 05:08 AM
Hey, thanks for the 2 cents worth. i'm not sure on the texture, i could just go with metal plate but that is over used as well. i could also do a greebled look. i'm not sure.
also i am having problems with my new wings. i want to have a big fan in them for landings and take-off. but when i hit bevel it coves the fan hole. here's an image to show what i mean.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 17-04-2009 , 05:13 AM
here's a good wireframe of what i have so far. ignore the left wing as its out of dat and i haven't gotten around to changing it. as you can see, its very low poly except the turbo fans.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 17-04-2009 , 06:07 AM
So i was playing around in the toon section of maya cause i was bored. and i came up with this. nothing to special. just a toon outline but i like it. now i have to ask, does toon, count as texturing or do i need to go with what i had before. oh, and i got un-lazy and fixed the wings. why is it that i am most productive after midnight??

Attached Thumbnails