Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-11-2002 , 01:16 AM

Mech-Crusher

This is something I'm working on for my thesis project at school. Its a mechanized car crusher. There's lots more to do on it yet, but here's a rough draft.

user added image

And here's a detail of the control cabin, modeled after a Mack truck.
user added image
Got some artifacting going on there... that's not a granite texture... can't figure out what it is though. Looks like some rebuilding is in order.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 2 14-11-2002 , 01:19 AM
Hey Dave, Excellent model!

However, is it going to go into WIPs or is it going into competition? I can´t quite go on updating everybody´s entries if they are all around the place user added image

So what´s it going to be?

It´s already updated.

# 3 14-11-2002 , 01:31 AM
Ehhh.. Yeah, I guess I'll move it over here. I'm so pressured for time right now with my thesis and all that I won't be able to get it totally finished as per the guidlines for the competition.

And to answer your post at the other place...

Yeah, the hydros are rigged. In fact, Im writing a tutorial on how to do it. Gonna post it in the How I Did It forum when its done. And as you can see, Im going to have a field day rigging this one as well. user added image

The legs on this model are actually from the other model. I found a more detailed pic of the original Star Wars droid and re-did the legs for this model... more detailed. Gonna go back and redo the other walker so that its up to specs.

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 4 14-11-2002 , 01:35 AM
Sad to hear it ain´t going to be part of the competition, but gladly it ain´t going anywhere. It´s staying right here. user added image
I´ll be on the lookout for more updates! Great work!

I would like to see the other one´s skeleton though ... Must be quite a piece of engineering.

# 5 14-11-2002 , 01:45 AM
Nice model, look great.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 14-11-2002 , 01:52 AM

Originally posted by dave_baer
Yeah, the hydros are rigged. In fact, Im writing a tutorial on how to do it. Gonna post it in the How I Did It forum when its done. .

Great man! If you need some graphical help for the tutorial (you know, the makeup proceureuser added image) give me a shout!
I´m into using this kind of treatment for the images I make in Maya to ilustrate errors or to ask for help.
You can see what I´m talking about HERE

See you around dude.

# 7 14-11-2002 , 02:33 AM
user added image

As you can see, it's a simple rig. nothing special, just some IKs. The tricky part was the hydros and how I had to do them. Mostly aim constraints and stuff which only show up as boxes. So, when I get that tutorial up, I'll let ya know so you can see how I did it.

user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 8 14-11-2002 , 03:03 AM
Great! Looks even better from here! now that we know it´s going into a tutorial ... user added image
user added image

# 9 14-11-2002 , 09:34 AM
Supreme Being
nice model dave_baer.. :p

# 10 14-11-2002 , 06:39 PM
Couldn't you have just done set driven key for the hydros? I use set driven key for just about everything, It may take a while to set up, but in the long run when animating its worth it.
Nice,
Brian

# 11 14-11-2002 , 06:40 PM
The legs definetly have old school SW style, good job

# 12 14-11-2002 , 07:05 PM
No brian, set driven key wouldn't give me the results I needed since SDK only gives the result of two set keys with the movements in between each set key. I needed the hydros to expand and contract independently and "naturally" rather than mechanically. In other words, if I moved a leg left and right rather then forward and backward, the hydro had to move according to how the leg moved. If I used SDK, then I would have had to set a key for every possible movement of the leg. The method I used of point and aim constraints took away the extra animation work that SDK would have required. This way, I dont have to touch the hydros at all.

user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 13 14-11-2002 , 07:11 PM
I guess I am misunderstanding what you relating to when you are talking about your hydros. My apologies. I had mentioned that because I have been working on a project for a company, and basically I am showing how some of their equipment. Every movement has a hydraulic pump/cylinder on it. I did a SDK on when the arm would move, so would the appropriate hydro's. I Just set a key at the absolute maximum, and I set a key at the absolute minimum... Those were the only keys, but I had to set them for the arm and the hydro pieces, for each arm. I think I just misunderstood what you were talking about. Thanks,
Brian

# 14 14-11-2002 , 07:59 PM
Hi. Umm.. just trying to get an idea of what you are doing for the hydros. I am very interested. This is something that I made in under 5 min, it uses SDK, all I have to do is rotate the cubes to get the cylnders to move. Is this along the lines of what you were talking about? THanks for the info Can't wait to see the tutorial
Brian

# 15 15-11-2002 , 02:33 AM
Yeah, it's similar to that, except that I'm not limited to the movements between two keys. I can move the legs in any direction and the hydros (cylinders) will follow accordingly. Your example shows the "legs" moving only up and down, whereas mine will let me move in any direction. I'll try to get an animated example up soon for you so u can see what I'm talking about.

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu