View Poll Results: What's your backup method?
External hard drive (copy stuff over) 7 50.00%
Online backup (e.g. Dropbox, mozy) 0 0%
Cloned hard drive 1 7.14%
Windows backup utility 1 7.14%
Time machine 2 14.29%
Other 0 0%
None 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-01-2010 , 09:57 PM
EduSciVis-er

What's your backup

I've just started backing up my stuff with a method I think is pretty decent. I'll share it, since I'm kinda proud of it, haha.

I have two hard drives, a SSD as boot with all my programs, and a HDD with all my data.

I got a hard drive dock for my computer, so I can just plug in regular SATA drives into the front.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-028-_-Product

Bought a 500GB drive for 50 bucks and threw all the data I wanted backed up into a folder labelled with the date. Anyone know of a good rsync utility for windows?? I guess I could throw everything into the same folder and overwrite with the newer stuff. I'll figure that part out.

Second, I used clonezilla to clone my SSD as an image to the same hard drive. Now if something goes wrong with my os or programs, I can just restore the image and I'm back in business.
https://clonezilla.org/

On my todo list for backup:
1) Figure out a good method for frequent data backups (ideally only transfering the modified information)
2) Get an off-site copy going (switch between two drives probably)

What do you use to back up all your precious stuff?

# 2 30-01-2010 , 10:13 PM
I'm ashamed, but I have no backup.

I used to have an external hard drive, but my brother "Borrowed" it, and he still has it.

I hope I get it back soon. haha

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 30-01-2010 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber
Used to have an external drive, 500gb, all my music, movies, pictures and 3d work was on it. It fell off my desk one day and I lost EVERYTHING, it was horrible. Luckily a week later I had backed up all my maya work on a flash drive for extra safe keeping, glad I did! I now have another internal hdd that I back things up on.

# 4 30-01-2010 , 11:39 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
a 1TB external hard drive, I just copy stuff over.

# 5 31-01-2010 , 02:26 AM
Subscriber
i just have a half decent memory stick!! i do insist on learning things the hard way...

# 6 31-01-2010 , 04:11 AM
Subscriber
i have a 1TB, that got partitioned with a 30gb for my ps3, although i don't think it'd be all too useful since my ps3 has a 320gb hdd

i have a 40gb, a 80gb (liberated from the ps3), a 320gb and a 500gb external hdd
and a 2gb flash drive, but thats for transfers, not backup.

after seeing timemachine at work i found the windows equivalent but then when i installed windows 7 i haven't used it yet... so yeah...

until i saw time machine i never knew "backup" meant using a program to manage all the changes you make. always thought you just copy and paste stuff to another drive

i should keep a backup and give it to someone else so if my stuff gets stolen or all the backups fail then i've still got something...

someone's friend's computer stuff got stolen but since it was so customized he found the culprit trying to sell it online and instantly knew that it was his. then he got the cops to get it but all the stuff was gone. lucky for him a friend of his had a backup of all his stuff 2 years prior... so he only lost 2 years of his life, instead of all of it

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 01-02-2010 , 07:48 AM
I use an internal and an external for back up. More important stuff is backed up and synched via Live mesh over 3 comps (Home, work and laptop) and online.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 03-02-2010 , 05:19 AM
Technical Director
I have 3 USB keys, and a very fast 250 gb external for backups.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.