Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 27-06-2003 , 08:03 AM
Subscriber
oh, silviapalara, the last composite looks a lot better now. there seams to be a little light break through below the small column on the left. and i agree with ereitz, that more sense for the background behind the windows would add to realism.

# 17 27-06-2003 , 08:26 AM
hehehe, leeman, I loved that... although, if anyone wishes to contribute 10 bucks to the "fund for Silvia's run to fame", I will gladly accept cash, checks and money orders. Please notice that I charge 25 bucks for any bounced check...

No seriously, obviously compliments are nice, but I am not a big shot who is going to make millions out of Maya. I am trying to learn. And although a compliment here and there is encouraging, constructive criticism is always useful. I find it very easy to "get used" to may images and just not see what is wrong with them.

Sy
# 18 27-06-2003 , 06:57 PM
Here I added some background at the windows.

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 19 28-06-2003 , 09:03 PM
I have changed a bit the background image to better match perspective.

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 20 28-06-2003 , 09:10 PM
I like it very much mate.
Looks far better!
(the second one is better achieved in my opinion)

# 21 29-06-2003 , 04:51 AM
Thanks adldesigner!

Sy
# 22 30-06-2003 , 03:00 AM
The brightness around the two outer pillars is a bit too saturated. The center pillar looks just fine. Also, the statue is lit from inside yet there is no light cast on the inner walls. Either illuminate the walls or lesson the light on the statue. Other than that, looks really great!

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 23 01-07-2003 , 05:29 AM
Hi there Dave! As I remember, I really liked much of the work you posted. Do you have anything interesting going on just now?
You know, this image used to be darker in the inside, but I got several comments telling me to make it lighter so I did...
I agree with you that the glow on the slender pillars is too heavy. I will have to tweak it in Photoshop for that, since I have a bit of trouble controlling the glow in Maya exactly the way I like it.
Thanks for your comment and compliments!

Sy
# 24 01-07-2003 , 10:54 AM
Subscriber
wow, i love it - and i also think the 2nd one looks a bit better. only thing to be improved might be a bigger dof (or just a blurrier building in the background.

# 25 04-07-2003 , 01:09 AM
hmmm I have only skim read this post but I recall a post by somebody in the members lounge about people who only post "yeah good work" all the time. So dont knock BabyDuck for offering critisicm (whether you agree with it or not). I have had crits from babyduck before and they havent been unjust and his comments have been worth listening to. user added image

Anyways.... it's a nice image (i gave you my crits back in the WIP)

It's almost photoreal but it's lacking something, the killer touch that makes it an AMAZING image..... I know you're sick of tweaking it, but carry on you'll thank yourself later!! user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 26 04-07-2003 , 02:04 AM
I am with you that critics are what help people like me gain something! Just that sometimes, getting a compliment out of BabyDuck is more difficult than pulling teeth... but that's why we like him right??? user added image
Anyway, I have done some more tweeking, even though I have to admit that yes, I am getting tired of this... Ah the good old times of canvas and paint, where at a certain point I would just call it done and go on to the next... The problem with computer graphics is that it is always possible to change stuff in it!
Anyway, I think this is the last I am going to do to this since I have another project going on just now, that I will post as soon as there is something to see...
But comments are always welcome!

user added image

Sy
# 27 04-07-2003 , 02:10 AM
The Maya Mountain
I like it. Perhaps I missed mention of it, but I'd like to see that statue! Did you model it?

# 28 04-07-2003 , 02:35 AM
Yes, I modeled the statue myself.
It was my very first attempt at modelling a human figure, so it isn't very good, but it's ok because I wasn't planning to have it visible in every detail anyway. It was a good exercise.
Just to show how bad it is, here is a render of the statue itself: buuuu!:mingun:

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 29 15-07-2003 , 11:59 AM

Originally posted by silviapalara
[B]I am with you that critics are what help people like me gain something! Just that sometimes, getting a compliment out of BabyDuck is more difficult than pulling teeth... but that's why we like him right???

oh getting a compliment from BabyDuck is not all that hard to do. :p
but then i am a bit more likely to get one, as i am to be his wife soon user added image (sept. 13,2003)
and i have seen his work(a bit more then he puts on here) i am no expert, and for sure not as good as you guys. but i think he does very good work. but then my sweetie tells me i am occupied :p

# 30 15-07-2003 , 06:49 PM
Well tigger, I am sure if you are going to marry him you get enough compliments...
By the way, sincere congratulations to both of you!

Sy