Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-07-2003 , 07:15 PM
Subscriber

Wrong shading on polygon model

I haven't been doing too much polygon modeling, cause I usually ends up screwing up the shading when I tweak CVs and stuff, but now I'm tired from user added image and come to you with my problem.

The image atatched shows the shape I've been working with...
It's a (heavily) modified NURBS2POLY shape, and I think that's why it's somehow smooth-shaded on some parts.

The area that looks even and nice, is extruded edges that I extruded from the shape. These looks just fine.

Okay... Enough talk about my poor modeling skills, and over to the real question:

How can I even out the shade on all the quads ?

-DX-
# 2 08-07-2003 , 07:17 PM
Subscriber

Oh.. Forgot the image ;)

Here it is:

Attached Images

-DX-
# 3 08-07-2003 , 07:21 PM
Subscriber
Oh by the way... This is just one piece.. Not combined or anything and with the default lambert shade. No UV-mapping or anything aplied.

-DX-
# 4 09-07-2003 , 01:49 AM
Subscriber
you posted an image from your viewport. that is not a render. you need to blame your graphics card if it cannot shade correctly. does this occur as well on a real render?

# 5 09-07-2003 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber
It is like this when I render too....

-DX-
# 6 09-07-2003 , 04:28 PM
Could we see a render from a few angles to get a better idea of how to help?

Cooluser added image Thanks!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 09-07-2003 , 04:46 PM
Looks like the normals are being averaged around the corners, which I'm guessing is not what you want. You can get "even" shading on the flat surfaces by selecting the faces along one strip (e.g. the entire line of 5 quads that you've pointed at) and then going to Edit Polygons > Normals > Average Normals. Repeat that for each strip of faces. That should get you clean, even shading on those surfaces.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job