Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-05-2005 , 02:15 PM

WIP - Castle

Hi all,

I'm farily much a newbie and have only been modelling on and off some basic things (and quite a few tutorials) for a short while now. Thought I'd post up a couple of images of a castle I'm currently working on (low poly).
I've learned huge amounts already and would really appreciate any comments and help on modelling techniques for buildings.
I started on the keep mainly to learn about modelling a building with different levels and playing with symmetrical designs. After a few attempts I ended up with the following (not all combined into one):
keep inner stairs
inner keep wall
moved onto the outer keep wall:
outer keep wall (roof)
outer keep (finished)

I'm now moving onto the outer castle wall including the turrets. Finding it quite difficult to make them all with levels and then join them back to the outer wall...
castle with walls
castle with walls 2

I only get an hour or two on it a day (between work on the train) so dont expect too much progress.
Again any help/pointers/etc is all I'm really looking for.

tickles

# 2 23-05-2005 , 02:28 PM
19 year Veteran
You need to tell us where you need help, other wise we cant help you.

# 3 23-05-2005 , 02:44 PM
Subscriber
well, it´s kinda hard to say anything about your design, not because its bad, but because there doesn´t seem to be too many details. I like your "castle with walls", though. It looks nice.

Anyway, for a low-poly building, it´s really the texture that makes or breaks it (at least in my experience). Without a texture on yours, it´s hard to say whether it will be good.

But keep it up (btw, I know all about not having enough time, and it really sucks user added image), and let´s see some textures on those walls! Cheers, MX

------------------------------------------------
Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
------------------------------------------------
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
# 4 23-05-2005 , 04:50 PM
I guess the questions I should be asking are, are there any good ways (or good workflows) for making buildings?
I've seen lots of head tutorials and many different techniques for doing the same thing but not much on techniques when creating things such as buildings.

If its just a case of doing lots and lots and figuring out your own workflow then thats fine, I'll just keep plugging away waiting for the day when I can try and do things as good and fast as you experts out there user added image

Not figured out texturing yet so will go away and learn more on that first! Cheers for the comments, and the encouragement from you MixX.