Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 02-11-2005 , 02:34 AM
19 year Veteran
How about something else besides the gaming world? How about your favorite battle ship? It could either be from the historical colonial days or from present day. What do you say Mike?

# 17 02-11-2005 , 02:46 AM
Subscriber
Something besides game stuff. Okay what about something really hard like a fantasy creature. You actually have to design the creature from scratch and then create it in 3d. Something besides dragons and unicorns. I mean really out there just something absolutley unusual, bizarre, but amazing. We need stuff more organic, and we would definitley need to put our thinking caps on for that one.

What do you guys think?

# 18 02-11-2005 , 05:24 AM
19 year Veteran
Something besides Dragons and Unicorns you say? How about a science finction fantasy creature, from another planet mabe? Now that sounds like an awsome idea. That would force you to come up with your own ideas and concepts. It wouldn't necessarily have to be organic, it coud be robotic.

# 19 02-11-2005 , 05:29 AM
robotic sounds cool .... organic whereas doesnt
i am sure mtmckenly would give us something good

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!

# 20 02-11-2005 , 07:07 AM
Subscriber
Fantasy Creature Robotic or Organic!!!!! :attn: :attn: :attn:

Id rather not have something simple and unchallenging.

The only way we get better is by being challenged by someone or something, and Mike knows that.

Which is why I am sure he will not let us down.

Later

# 21 02-11-2005 , 07:41 AM
19 year Veteran
Heres to hoping that Mike hears us on a Science Fiction Fantasy Creature Challenge, be it Robotic or Organic user added image

# 22 02-11-2005 , 10:20 AM
whatever the actual competition brief the mods now have a few ideas for the future user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

# 23 02-11-2005 , 10:26 AM
It's funny... I had though about the subject before go back to this forum, and had exactly the same idea you guys are talking about now. If we could do a fantasy creature, either organic or not, it would be a great oportunity to practice non humanoid modeling, concept creation, and production of unusual textures and displacements. It would gave us another great oportunity for improve our skills in 3D (for those who needs this, like me, of course). I hope Mike and SimplyMaya team thinks carefully about the idea!

# 24 02-11-2005 , 10:56 AM

ready to start!!

i'd like to see the next theme contest!!!

the last one theme was very funny....with incredibles models like final entries.

for the time i think 2 months it's perfect...1 is less if u have to do some works between....and 3 are to long......

.....why we don't think that there will be christmas the next month....and epiphani fest...and may be some theme for the contest...

# 25 02-11-2005 , 12:44 PM
guys the only problem with have sci fi fantasy stuff is that it can allow people to be lazy. Think about it if you had to model something real e.g. a pair of headphones you can't just "make it up" and then tell people "oh I meant it to be like that!". I'd like to see people really pushing themselves to make stuff look real and truly follow a design. Dont get lazy on your stuff, really pull out the stops. I've noticed that the quality of the last two challenges has been awesome (much much higher than it used to be!) so well done to everyone taking part! user added image

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB

# 26 02-11-2005 , 12:58 PM
How about a non fantasy/science fiction challenge user added image

I like the idea of modelling a character with the challenge of giving it life, emotion, pose etc. Make it seem real.

Maybe as an extra credit you could put him into a scene to enhance the character etc.

I also like the idea of giving just a keyword to base the challenge on… be it “hide and seek”, “escape” etc.

Edit, you know what, i like Alan's idea. Although would it be anythng or somthing more complex than say, a dvd case.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 02-11-2005 at 01:03 PM.

# 27 02-11-2005 , 01:43 PM
Hmmm... You see. if the level of last competitions is raising up, it's because competitors are trying to make their best. It's not related about the theme. There were lazy people in all competitions. What happen with them is that they don't win, simply. The goal of every competition is to reward the best ones for their efforts, and the lazy ones... sorry for them. So I don't believe a Sci fi theme could be something bad for next comp. As I said before it will be a good thing to work some areas of modeling and texturing, that weren't explored on the last comp.

# 28 02-11-2005 , 01:51 PM
Subscriber
dittouser added image

# 29 02-11-2005 , 01:56 PM
but it's been done to death! along with mechs, cars and chicks with big hooters and metal bikinis... it's boring user added image

how about war and peace? so you could model something to do with war e.g. a vehicle/solider (not just a gun cause there's too much of that aswell) or your image could be one of peace. Maybe that's a bit open ended...

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB

# 30 02-11-2005 , 02:16 PM
i think maybe a christmas theme would be the best, same as we did with halloween

Anyway fantastic stuff challenge would be cool...What about a dragon modeling-texturing contest?...Or maybe a fantastic background scene, something like a castle a forest or something...