Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 06-04-2007 , 08:05 AM
Subscriber

Kung Fu Double Feature

Hello All,

Some of you may have seen me trolling around here from time to time. If you do not know me here is a little information for your knowledge.

Currently I am a Producer/Editor for a NBC affiliate that is owned by a media conglomeration of television, radio, newspaper and internet media. The program(s) I am responible for are syndicated throughout the Southeast United States. One is a movie news/review program interviewing stars of current or soon to be released major motion picture films. One such instance is the interviewing of "The Grindhouse" stars and directors that was just released this weekend. Another program is a slice of life/travel entertainment syndicated show. And the last is a morning lifestyle syndicated program. On the side I play around with 3D. Sometimes I do work for actual clients but is not how I make my living.

Having said all that. . .we are currently producing a 30 minute slice of life program. We do not take life too serious and try to put together creative unusual "packages". The next program is a bit of a twist on this creativity. Usually the show centers around a theme. Maybe its about NASA and space. Maybe it is about yachts and boating. Maybe its about sushi and what not to eat. Or maybe it is about wrestling. Here is one such example - Sumo Wrestling

Now if you have managed to read through all of this and not close the window, I am presenting an opportunity for anyone interested. Age, skill level, location. . .are unimportant. What is important is desire and the ability to complete a task in the time frame allowed.

The next program we are producing is a martial arts driven theme. And we have decided to tie all the "story packages" around our very own Kung Fu movie. Everything will be shot blue screen and composited over 3D.

If you are interested, I need some modeling texturing and perhaps some effects created. There is no pay involved, but you will receive a copy of the completed program that will include credits and have permission to use for demonstration purposes of experience and broadcast/published work.

Shooting is on April 26, 2007 and the program needs to be completed for uplink by 2pm May 2, 2007. So all artwork would need to be finalized Sunday April 29th, 2007.

Please post what you would like to do. Props are the biggest need that I have at the moment.

Vase - nice chinese vase that will get thrown and broken. needs to look very valueable. texturing can be used to create the look as it will only ever be seen from a medium shot.

Crates - crates that you would find outside at a market. remember old chinese kung fu movie. doesn't have to be complicated, but we do need to know it is a crate. need different ones as well. will be seen in all types of shots long shots to medium shots to quick close-ups.

Hand Cart - A hand cart that may be used to carry hay or larger objects that do not wiegh too much. not intended to be used by an animal but by human. needs to be able to be animated with good detailed modeling.

Fountain/Pond - nice Chinese garden type fountain/pond. will be used only in long shots. but will have water animation added into composite. will have a close up shot once, but will only be a side portion of the fountain. Connects to a waterway canal off a city street. Texturing will be discussed later. Should not be larger then 25 square feet 5'x5' 6'x4' 7'x3.5' etc.

Window Shutters - shutters you would find on a house in a small chinese village. will be used in several shots. the windows are 14" wide x 30" high.

Interior Rice Paper Wall - need something decent. will be used in a wide shot. needs to be 7' long and 8' high.

All measurements are in feet and inches. All elements will be combined with live action blue screen and must meet the scale requirements of 1"=1".

To mods. . .is this is posted inappropriately or in the wrong forum please inform me.

# 2 06-04-2007 , 10:51 AM
Subscriber
How much do you pay for this work?

# 3 06-04-2007 , 11:47 AM
Subscriber
If you are interested, I need some modeling texturing and perhaps some effects created. There is no pay involved, but you will receive a copy of the completed program that will include credits and have permission to use for demonstration purposes of experience and broadcast/published work.

# 4 06-04-2007 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber
Hi, Im interested in doing some of the modeling. Is this high poly or low poly modeling. Also, what kind of things are needed to be modeled?

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 5 07-04-2007 , 03:23 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by 99GsTurbo
Hi, Im interested in doing some of the modeling. Is this high poly or low poly modeling. Also, what kind of things are needed to be modeled?

hi turbo. . .welcome aboard.

the answer to your question would depend on the model you are able to complete. choose from one of these, and at least you can get started.

---------------------------------------------

Vase (med poly) - nice chinese vase that will get thrown and broken. needs to look very valueable. texturing can be used to create the look as it will only ever be seen from a medium shot.

Crates (med poly) - crates that you would find outside at a market. remember old chinese kung fu movie. doesn't have to be complicated, but we do need to know it is a crate. need different ones as well. will be seen in all types of shots long shots to medium shots to quick close-ups.

Hand Cart (high poly) - A hand cart that may be used to carry hay or larger objects that do not wiegh too much. not intended to be used by an animal but by human. needs to be able to be animated with good detailed modeling.

Fountain/Pond (med poly) - nice Chinese garden type fountain/pond. will be used only in long shots. but will have water animation added into composite. will have a close up shot once, but will only be a side portion of the fountain. Connects to a waterway canal off a city street. Texturing will be discussed later. Should not be larger then 25 square feet 5'x5' 6'x4' 7'x3.5' etc.

Window Shutters (high poly) - shutters you would find on a house in a small chinese village. will be used in several shots. the windows are 14" wide x 30" high.

Interior Rice Paper Wall (med poly) - need something decent. will be used in a wide shot. needs to be 7' long and 8' high.

-------------------------------

make certain you keep the scale. if i have to resize your work, it will be like me doing the work myself. and we dont want that!!!! there is no limit on the poly's. and no set amount that you have to have. everything will be a 16:9 aspect ratio and rendered in NTSC Standard Definition video (which can be quite forgiving). One rule I always go by is - it doesnt have to be right, it just has to look right. so whatever works to make something you (and I) will want to show on the air is what i need.

to anyone else intereseted. this is not a great opportunity, but it certainly is not bad either. as a producer responsible for assembling a team to create my product, i would much rather have someone with experience on their reel then someone without. i would never ask if you got paid for the work that was on broadcast television, but i would ask your role and what you were responsible for and for you to show me that work. not only will i provide you with material but if all works out a reccomendation for future possibilities as well.

i have posted here first as i think this is one of the better communities. i am going to let this go for one more day then i will begin to visit other sites in request for individuals to participate. the deadline will be quickly approaching, so procrastination will not be beneficial. thanks to all those who are interested.

# 6 07-04-2007 , 03:46 AM
Lifetime Member
I too would be interested in some modeling ,do you have any references of the sort of things you are looking for in crates, vases ect? Also scale of said crates/vases.

# 7 07-04-2007 , 12:43 PM
sounds very interesting, do you have a website ? and also is this an on site thing or do we work from home?

# 8 08-04-2007 , 12:26 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by jsprogg
I too would be interested in some modeling ,do you have any references of the sort of things you are looking for in crates, vases ect? Also scale of said crates/vases.

the crates should be varied in sizes. they will get smashed into, so i will need a decent stack that is no higher then 36" and no wider then 48". i also need one crate that will be thrown and that should be 24"x30"x20".

i do not have any reference material for you. i would search chinese markets or vacations or vegetable crates or animal crates. we can talk about texturing a bit also. but if you want you can include any texturing you are capable of. hi-res is necessary tho.

---------------------

welcome aboard. you will have some fun working on this and see a pretty quick reward.

# 9 08-04-2007 , 12:29 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by younglion
sounds very interesting, do you have a website ? and also is this an on site thing or do we work from home?

we do have a website for the show. . .but corporate manages it and so it kinda sux. there is no site for this production. all work will be from your location and delivered via this interweb thingy.

# 10 08-04-2007 , 02:12 AM
well one problem is that if someone's making your model for you, they'll probably have to animate it for you as well, which means that they're gonna need to have your footage to be able to track it correctly. if you have handheld shots/moving shots of your scenes, then even your 'background' items will have to be animated to track along with your camera movement... it can't be done in a compositing program because perspective changes.

Accept no substitutions.
# 11 08-04-2007 , 06:56 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by NeoStrider
well one problem is that if someone's making your model for you, they'll probably have to animate it for you as well, which means that they're gonna need to have your footage to be able to track it correctly. if you have handheld shots/moving shots of your scenes, then even your 'background' items will have to be animated to track along with your camera movement... it can't be done in a compositing program because perspective changes.

i do not need anyone to animate at this point. i have maya available and knowledge to utilize it. i may request some assistance for reasons of time. whoever is modeling does not need the footage to model, but we will most likely be making some of the blue screen elements available on YouTube for the public to mess around ala Steven Colbert blue screen. but i do appreciate the advice.

# 12 08-04-2007 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
I am interested. I would like to do the vases or crate props maybe.

# 13 08-04-2007 , 06:19 PM
oh well then hell i'm in. let me know what you want me to do (i'm not gonna choose a model because it's way to easy to do some and way to difficult to do others - take the vase for example. it could be as simple as a teeny souvenir vase, or a huge intricate one a la rush hour in the ending half hour) and i'll make it for ya. if you can animate it to matchmove the camera, more power to ya.

(just got done watching wayne's world 2 tonight, and there were guys that were like 'yea all we do is set up crates of chickens and melons and those guys walk back and forth with this huge pane of glass... for no reason.')

i just find the comment humorous.

Accept no substitutions.
# 14 08-04-2007 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Anm8or
i do not need anyone to animate at this point. i have maya available and knowledge to utilize it. i may request some assistance for reasons of time. whoever is modeling does not need the footage to model, but we will most likely be making some of the blue screen elements available on YouTube for the public to mess around ala Steven Colbert blue screen. but i do appreciate the advice.

are you looking for a model of a vase something like this. I whipped this together last night.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 08-04-2007 , 06:47 PM
the difference in texture between the main vase body and the rest might be noticeable. just a slight might... meaning quite noticeable.

Accept no substitutions.