Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 03-06-2007 , 02:05 AM

Booleans. dissapeared.

Hi everyone i thought i had already posted a thread about this but i cant see so i huess ill do another one.
Im not attually at my desktop at the mo so i wont be to detailed. Im making the dog and im on video 3 about 6 mins in. Iv converted my Nurbs head and neck into polygons. this worked fine then i used the booleans tool to union the 2 peices they disappear. Ive tried this 3 or 4 times now and it does the same. Iv followed the tutorial to the word. The only change ive made is iv made evey part into a layer. I.E Top head, Jaw,neck,Frontlegs ETC.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

https://www.dell.com/html/global/topics/gaming/en/us/us/dhs/systems-notebook.html

gimme.
# 2 03-06-2007 , 02:25 AM
Subscriber
Hello,

This type if thing sometimes occurs because the objects that you're trying to combine are not closed, if you have originally made the shapes from NURBS and have converted them to poygons the ends will still be open (unless you've already dealt with that!!).

Try marquee selecting the verts where they converge at the top and bottom of your objects, chances are you will see that instead of just one vert you have as many as there are edges radiating from that point. All you have to do is merge them and you should be flying.

If you haven't already got your poly count up on your heads up display I would suggest you put it there (Display > Heads Up Display > Poly Count), it's a pretty important tool as it shows you what the model is made from and how many items you have selected.

Hope that helps,

Mat.

# 3 03-06-2007 , 06:12 AM
Jr.Who
If what Mat says doesnÕt help, do a Polygon>Cleanup.

# 4 03-06-2007 , 10:29 AM
Also, if the two are not completely intersecting (ie. a tiny part of the edge of neck is not inside the head), then the two pieces will dissappear.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 04-06-2007 , 02:05 AM
thanks for all your replys i have moved maya over to my laptop which it attually runs better i think my g card is better.
However when i do the union operation nothing happens.

it doesn't change at all ive checked to see if the neck is in the head and it is.

thanks SB.

https://www.dell.com/html/global/topics/gaming/en/us/us/dhs/systems-notebook.html

gimme.
# 6 04-06-2007 , 07:36 AM
help me please!!!

gimme.
# 7 04-06-2007 , 07:37 AM
Jr.Who
Can you post a pic? user added image

# 8 04-06-2007 , 07:55 AM

Attached Thumbnails

gimme.
# 9 04-06-2007 , 08:45 AM
Jr.Who
Did you test with the different options of polygon cleanup? I had the same problem as you and it fixed it.

# 10 04-06-2007 , 11:02 AM
Great pic (posting all 4 views). In the side view I count 7 edges loops on the neck from bottom to top. If there are only 7 edges then you don't have the neck completely in the head. I should only be able to see 6 edges. grap the top edge or vertexes and shove them way up into the head, about half way. Don't worry because the boolean will cut off all the excess inside the head.

So, If there really are only 7 edges on your neck then your boolean isn't working because of that. If there are 8 edge loops then I would definitely try Jr. Who's suggestion.

Good luck! let us know if it works.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 11 04-06-2007 , 11:59 AM
Disappearing polys happen very often when the two objects you want to boolean is pretty complicated.

For your case, I guess you're trying to combine the neck and the head together. I sugguest you to use the command Combine instead. After that, snap the corresponding vertices together and apply a Merge.

Check that you have merged properly by choosing Display->Polygons->Border Edges

Delete unnecessary faces also.

# 12 04-06-2007 , 12:03 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by parka
Disappearing polys happen very often when the two objects you want to boolean is pretty complicated.

For your case, I guess you're trying to combine the neck and the head together. I sugguest you to use the command Combine instead. After that, snap the corresponding vertices together and apply a Merge.

Check that you have merged properly by choosing Display->Polygons->Border Edges

Delete unnecessary faces also.

ThatÕs the harder way of doing it (in this case), and sometimes has worse results.

# 13 04-06-2007 , 12:08 PM
Nothing can be worse than disappearing polys.
Anyway, it depends on what's needed as the end result.

I almost always have this type of problems with boolean-ing complicated polygons. So far, going the long way has always worked for me.

# 14 04-06-2007 , 01:52 PM
Just in case I confused you earlier.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 15 04-06-2007 , 05:01 PM
Senior Software Developer
Perfecto beat me too it.

The line he has indicated is the problem...

To get booleans to work properly all geo has to be tucked inside the other geo. If it is not the boolean fails and all the geo disappears.

Booleans are a real hit and miss (so I am told), just keep at it and it will work. the geo seems ok, so there should not be too much work to do after the boolean

Good Luck.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)