Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 01-10-2008 , 10:50 PM

Animating problem

Hi guys.

Im wondering if someone might have a tip for a small problem i have been having with animating..

i am making a small animated factory scene and when i try to animate the industrial arms ive made i get a few small problems..

im not using IK setup, just free joints parented to the parts. and when i rotate one or more joints to the desired position, any translation after the fact causes the whole rig to reset back to the origonal position.. i know its something to do with the way i have parented the whole rig to traslate on the z axis. the whole rig is parented to nurb curve. so yeah when i move a joint, then move the nurb curve the joint goes back to its default position... its really annoying me, and i am wondering if any one has a solution for me user added image

These are the arms im talking about .
v
- Cheers, Ruff

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 01-10-2008 , 11:24 PM
you have to remember that you need a starting keyframe for reference at the very beginning. after that, why is it parented to a nurbs curve? unless you have some sort of elaborate SDK setup (which i doubt if you are just animating rotation on top of a parenting structure - which is really the correct way to go with this setup), i'd just group the whole parented lot together, set the pivot point to the bottom near where it's gonna be sliding, and then animate the newly created group along the z axis if you want to move the whole thing. much less of a headache if you ask me.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 01-10-2008 , 11:33 PM
I parented it to a curve.. well nurb circle just for ease of access.
ok so i think what your saying is group the whole model/rig and move that.. right ? lol

so once i key frame a joint rotating, then select the group i just made, then the key framed rotation i just did will stay with the group when i translate it on z axis??

cheers for the help, i go check it out and see if that works user added image

-Ruff

# 4 02-10-2008 , 01:06 AM

fixed

Hey thanks neo that really helped.. muffed it at first.. then remembered the ol histiry delete..
thanks again chief user added image

- Ruff

# 5 03-10-2008 , 06:03 AM
glad to be of service... don't forget to post that animation in the finished work section when you're done!

Accept no substitutions.