Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 25-10-2009 , 11:46 AM
Subscriber
Since I wanted to add some sort of eyewear but at the same time thought it would be foolish to ignore the advice of the board to remove the glasses to make him less of a drone I modified the goggles look to where the lenses rotate into the sides. So this is what they'll look like closed with a glass shader/data screen texture added so that even closed they shouldn't obscure his face too bad.

Thanks again to all the great advice everyone has given me!

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 32 25-10-2009 , 08:27 PM
Subscriber
Looks a lot better - The character looks more like a hero now - well done - but I personally think he looks better without the head gear and glasses. The old saying - less is more fits really well here. The head gear makes the shape/silhouette of the head look funny.

But if you want to keep it maybe make it look a bit more part of the uniform without killing the character. A bit like in "Ghost Recon". Although it covers the head you can still make out the hero inside.

Here are some examples of what I mean

https://www.konzolozz.hu/beepulok/sga...warfighter.jpg

https://wallpapers.free-review.net/wa...st_recon_3.jpg

https://i25.tinypic.com/21j3u39.jpg

Hope it helps

Last edited by tweetytunes; 25-10-2009 at 08:30 PM.
# 33 25-10-2009 , 11:28 PM
Subscriber
I see what you're saying tweety. I was wondering if the headgear you were talking about was the polygons set aside for hair so I re-rendered just in case. I also opened up the glasses (this is the position for the final render.) It turns out the hardest part of this challenge for me is getting a look that is both heroic and at the same time a little techy.

I am having a hard time with the hair, the final draft of the character may just have to go bald.

Attached Thumbnails

# 34 26-10-2009 , 01:42 AM
I think a good example of techy yet very hero looking is something along the lines of the Halo wars main character.

In that example the body armour and weapons are all very tech and haloishuser added image!!! Yet his face is uncovered and he sports a great shaven head look... might help with your hair dilemma.

See the clip here: https://www.blur.com/

Its under the Halo Wars Montage

Hope this helps

# 35 26-10-2009 , 11:23 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by CGWolfgang
I see what you're saying tweety. I was wondering if the headgear you were talking about was the polygons set aside for hair so I re-rendered just in case.

That was the case indeed

Originally posted by CGWolfgang
I also opened up the glasses (this is the position for the final render.)

I hope not as the head shot hides all the detail of the body - why would you make this the final pose ???

Also you may have to tweak the nose a little - close up it looks a little fat.

# 36 26-10-2009 , 02:48 PM
The Nurb Herd
i think he means the final position of the glasses.

# 37 26-10-2009 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber
dude I love this model. Tactical stuff is really awesome. Really reminds me of Metal Gear Online kinda. But there's only one thing I don't like. It's the face =[ It looks like a big puff. You should add definition in the cheek bone and jaw. Make him look rough. Just an idea

Thanks

Clint

# 38 27-10-2009 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
tweetytunes and hammer.horror - yep hammer's right I meant the final pose of the glasses will be open.

Pwnisher - I kept a lower poly version of the face so I'll try to thin the cheeks and define the jaw a little more to give him a stronger more rugged face.

I'll also play with the headgear based on the sweet references tweetytunes and thatsmybrand gave me. Something that goes along with his chest keypad (thiner and less bulky around the eyes. making the goggles conforming to the head) With some final adjustments it should keep the face open.

One major thing I've learned overall is that a lot of these pitfalls I'm having could be better corrected if I spent a little more time drawing some (really poor) concept images.

# 39 27-10-2009 , 03:18 AM
Subscriber
dude a tactical helmet with goggles is so pro, maybe try that if other stuff doesn't work. I love your knee pads, cant recall if he has elbow pads, but those add so much bulk to it. Which is a good thing =] maybe a gas mask? A gask mask will turn any ordinary man into a bulky peice of meat, lol im so wierd.

Good luck

Clint

# 40 04-11-2009 , 08:00 AM
Subscriber
Another quick update, Tried to fix his jawline and nose and while the nose turned out better (I think) the jaw didn't so I left it alone.

Started texturing by working on some procedural textures on things that I feel won't be detailed enough for making UV maps (I'm an amature so I might be off in that assumption). But I wanted to post something to show some foward progress. I'll start UV mapping stuff tomorrow. I'm kind of apprehensive because I like the way he's turning out and my texturing skills are really weak.

Here's body without AO (with it the image was too dark)

Attached Thumbnails

# 41 04-11-2009 , 08:04 AM
Subscriber
and a headshot.

Attached Thumbnails

# 42 04-11-2009 , 10:54 AM
Subscriber
The head looks alot better - still not quite there but i think it can be pulled off by the texturing.

Why r theses one`s so dark

# 43 23-11-2009 , 06:00 AM
Subscriber
Been messing around with texturing for the past couple of weeks. Most of its done. I have the boots, gloves and glowy/data bits to hammer out I also need to tweak the few metallic parts. Also I have a nasty seam on the head texture that I need to fix.

Tweetytunes: I think the last render was so dark because I used ambient occlusion along with poor lighting techniques (I still need to work on the lighting)
:attn:

Attached Thumbnails