Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 06-09-2005 , 12:23 AM
Subscriber

A new chapter of my life (not another depressing "good bye" thread)

Hi everyone. I have created this thread as a notice and a cry out for help. I start highschool tomorrow, and dont know one frickin thing about it. I am stepping into completely unknown terrortory and am sorda kinda, a little bit, ALOT, scared............Well, maybe scared isnt the right word. But I sure hope I dont screw it up. If it sounds impossible to screw up highschool, I will probably find away.

So if any of you have your infinite knowledge of life and would like to help a newbie freshmen. Please pick me up from this hell hole I find myself in.

PS. I CANT SPELL.

# 2 06-09-2005 , 01:51 AM
The Maya Mountain
study hard, make good grades, figure out what you want to do with your life, join a sports team if you're so inclined, make friends, don't be a dick...

That's about all the advice I've got. user added image Good luck!

# 3 06-09-2005 , 12:48 PM
Wise words from Mike, heed them well!

If someone gives you a chance, dont turn it down or you'll end up regretting it.
Variety is the spice of life so try that crazy sport, obscure language class or after-school competition. You wont know if you'll like it till you've given it a spin.
Get used to learning, as you'll never stop doing it.

...and finally....learn to spell user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 4 06-09-2005 , 01:23 PM
be yourself, dont go along with the crowd just because everyone else is doing it, That's the one thing Iearned. I never cared if people liked how i looked or what I did I just had fun and had great friends.

Dont be scared it's going to be the best time of your life (apart from college but that's a whole other topic!! user added image )

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 06-09-2005 , 01:35 PM
SM Tea Boy
Relax and just be yourself best advice I can give you. You'll be fine user added image

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 6 06-09-2005 , 02:28 PM
Study hard and take the time to try different activities...see what you like to do and what you might possible want to pursue later in life. For example, if you wanted to be a photographer, aside from practicing on your own, join the school paper or yearbook staff and practice your craft. Musician? Take music theory or join jazz band. Writer? Get involved in AP English and Literature courses. Art? Take art and drawing classes. Scientist or engineer? Crank on the highend math and science courses...You get the idea. Just study hard, go with the flow, treat others the way you want to be treated, and be yourself.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 7 06-09-2005 , 09:56 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
Ouch, man, what can I say? I'm too damn young, so I'll face hi-school one day. Alright, but I'M NOT FREAKED about it, cos i live in a different country where everyone is so damn f*****g messers...hehehe...

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 8 06-09-2005 , 10:38 PM
Subscriber
Thanks guys. These are probably the best words I have heard all year about how to face high-school. I just finished my first day today, I thought it was great. So much freedom and opertunites that already seem available to me. I also see where the bad decisions may lead. But hey, I think I will do alot of experimenting in the next 4 years. Not turn gay or anything.

Thx guys for all your help, I really apreciate it. I will never forget it, thats for sure.

# 9 07-09-2005 , 02:27 AM
IMHO compared to junior high, high school was a piece of cake. I don't know what the school system is like where you live, but for me I went from 6th grade which was basically still recess, playgrounds and show and tell to 7th grade which was BIG scary guys who smoked and wanted to beat your ass. By the time you get to high school most of those brutes end up being your friends ... piece -o- cake, baby!

Good luck and have fun!

Dave

# 10 09-09-2005 , 05:03 AM
RUN! RUN LIKE HELL AND DON'T LOOK BACK!

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 11 13-09-2005 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber
ahh man.. i wish i were a high school freshmen again. those were great experiences all the way through graduation.

my advice to you would be make the grades, socialize with anyone and everyone.. yes faculty too. there are many different types of personalities out there and in high school is where you learn to understand/deal with just a few.

sports, sure. If you're physically able by being not in a wheelchair or have braces on your legs etc. what's better than practicing eye hand coordination anyways.

Would also recommend taking extracirriculars like
NitroLiq said. Being that it is something you tried to see if you like, if you don't like it simply stop going and now you know it is or isn't for you.

and the recent survey is like 60-65% of highschoolers are non-virgins.. you'll figure it out.

you don't realize it yet but your next 4 years will be the best years of your life. unless of course you to go a party college then those will be the best 8 years of your life user added image

To you user added image for someone who's preparing for the step into the real world.

# 12 13-09-2005 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Ataraxy
ahh man.. i wish i were a high school freshmen again. those were great experiences all the way through graduation.

my advice to you would be make the grades, socialize with anyone and everyone.. yes faculty too. there are many different types of personalities out there and in high school is where you learn to understand/deal with just a few.

sports, sure. If you're physically able by being not in a wheelchair or have braces on your legs etc. what's better than practicing eye hand coordination anyways.

Would also recommend taking extracirriculars like
NitroLiq said. Being that it is something you tried to see if you like, if you don't like it simply stop going and now you know it is or isn't for you.

and the recent survey is like 60-65% of highschoolers are non-virgins.. you'll figure it out.

you don't realize it yet but your next 4 years will be the best years of your life. unless of course you to go a party college then those will be the best 8 years of your life user added image

To you user added image for someone who's preparing for the step into the real world.

Thanks dude. Your words spoke to me.

Oh and, trust me, I am one of those 40-45% (sadly). user added image. But hey, what can I get. And the socialing thing. Im not the person to say something to get attention. I dont really know how to explain it but, I dont say stuff just to get a reaction out of you. If people want to meet me. Then I need to know basically. But hey, im not anti social or anything.

# 13 14-09-2005 , 03:47 PM

Originally posted by alienscience
Thanks dude. Your words spoke to me.

Oh and, trust me, I am one of those 40-45% (sadly). user added image. But hey, what can I get. And the socialing thing. Im not the person to say something to get attention. I dont really know how to explain it but, I dont say stuff just to get a reaction out of you. If people want to meet me. Then I need to know basically. But hey, im not anti social or anything.

Just dont segregate yourself to one group. Introduce yourself to other people.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....