Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 18-08-2004 , 06:18 PM

dog tutorial - mental ray rendering

hello for all.. im new here.. and i was trying to do the dog tutorial.. ok, i have finished it, but i want to render it with final gather.. but i dont know why .. mu sub-d surfaces doesnt apears on the render.. only if i change it to NURBS... and it becomes very heavy.. user added image .. this message apears whule rendering:

// Error: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : polyToSubdShape1, non-quadrilateral face in subdivision surface base mesh not supported, ignored //
// Error: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : polyToSubdShape2, non-quadrilateral face in subdivision surface base mesh not supported, ignored //
// Error: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : polyToSubdShape3, non-quadrilateral face in subdivision surface base mesh not supported, ignored //

Trying to render with Turtle, the body and other things, appears..
but i dont know how to use Turtle correctly yet..
can someone help me?

other thing.. i want to animate this dog.. but i cand find a tutorial for it.. user added image i want to animate the face of the dog.. how to do? blendshapes?

tnks for al..
sorry for my very poor english..

# 2 20-08-2004 , 01:34 AM
Mental Ray will only render sub-Ds whose base mesh is all quads. Thats what the error message you're getting is all about. If you get rid of any tris and any 5 sided (or more) polygons it will render just fine.

Dave

# 3 06-09-2004 , 07:15 AM
hi there .. it seems i had the same problem .. user added image

here is the solution ..select your subD surface go to:
modeling==>edit sub-D surfaces-collaps hirarachy

then you will be able to render it with mental ray user added image

wish you all the best bro ..
remeber to stay away from n-gons or more than four sided ploygons while modeling

Mr_Flamenco™( the Man Who Summoned By Mankind)