Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 14-05-2009 , 10:18 PM
Subscriber
Good afternoon, once again. I am trying to be better about posting my updates, and have made some progress since Monday. After finishing the UV Mapping I could move on to trying to build my texture. I hope to go all of the way through once, and if I have time come back around. And right now it looks as if I may have time. But we will see. I have all of the front built on some more. I will do the gun turret and the back next. Again, I hope everyone has had a good day and is still having fun with their projects!

OH!! The radar. I had promised I would have it in the next render. But it isn't finished. Need to work on it, as if you couldn't tell. But I have been too busy right now to get to it.

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 47 14-05-2009 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber
i was looking at the thingy on the right side there, saw the first reference that tweety posted and its the cockpit i'm talking about

the textures look odd there, like the cockpit doesn't belong to the ship... it doesn't blend in with the part it's connected to

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 48 15-05-2009 , 12:18 AM
Subscriber
Chirone, I am sorry that I don't remember Tweety commenting other that when I put the main structure (the inner shell) in he said "That is the MF. Spot on!" Or I am missing the point of why Tweety came up.

But yes, you are very right that it is odd. And need to attend to that. I thought it strange when it came up in the render. Nothing much different in the shader, and not sure about why it did that. But I will try and adjust something in there to correct it! ;-)

Thanks for your comments!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 49 15-05-2009 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber

Last edited by taquion; 15-05-2009 at 06:20 PM.
# 50 15-05-2009 , 06:21 PM
Subscriber
I think he`s talking about the ref images I gave you a link to (right towards the start)

# 51 15-05-2009 , 06:55 PM
Subscriber
Thank you!! I was quite confused!! I use photographs taken of the original model. Sorry, I never looked at the links you provided. By the way Tweety, I am glad you are home and that you recover quickly!!

# 52 15-05-2009 , 07:59 PM
Subscriber
taquion, I do appreciate your comments and critic of my texture. I guess my first attempt at this will be as I mention earlier, "odds are greater that I will look foolish". I am trying very hard, and sorry it appears like that.

I honestly do thank you!!

# 53 18-05-2009 , 05:43 PM
wow! - been a while since i stopped by the challenge thread - nice job hippie_tom - this is looking great! user added image

I definitely agree that the cockpit is looking a little odd - i think part of the problem is that it's looking a little sharp in places.

I'm liking the start you've made on the textures - i'm glad to see that you're going for a scruffy messed up look. some of the other spaceships are looking a little too clean! i think you have the tones just right but definitely agree that it could do with a bit of variation - especially on the cockpit and radar.

oh yeah - i also want to see a little chewy waving from the cockpit window.... and maybe some furry dice. user added image

# 54 18-05-2009 , 06:12 PM
Subscriber
LMAO!!! ;-) Yes, if I could model charachters then I would surely do that!! HaHa!

Arron, I have struggled with the texture on the plating of the tunnel and cockpit, you can't see the tunnel, just the plating over it. I have remapped and done about everything I could think of. But the plating that is covering the tunnel on the saucer for some reason always came out different than the two rows of plating that is the cockpit. UVed the same and the same texture. I may have to get it as close as I can.

I am glad that you like the start on my texture. I really wanted to challenge myself with the dirt stuff. I have learned a lot in the attempt, and in a lot of ways it is much better than I thought I could do. I also am colorblind to shades of colors. And I show my girlfriend what I have done, and she tell me it's green!! So she checks my work before I post it!! ;-)

I should have an update tomorrow, and should get on to my final scene.

Rambled on a lot, but nice to hear from you once again Arron. You know I never did hear of any shows that Cheech and Chong ever did after we heard they were getting back together!! And thank you so much for your kind comments!!

P.S. The furry dice I could do!!!!!

# 55 19-05-2009 , 09:23 PM
Subscriber
Hi Tom, I love it. A little more work on it so don't give up. You have come so far. You are doing great. The modeling is exelent. I allso want to say I am colorblind too. Funny. I ask my girl the same thing over and over when I need to pick colors.

# 56 19-05-2009 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber
Sokol, I have to ask. Do you get people always asking, "Well, what color do you see?" Sorry, if I knew what color I see, I wouldn't be colorblind!!

Thank you so very much!! I like your work also, and have enjoyed following alot. We all have come along way all of us, and some very nice modeling and texturing being done.

# 57 20-05-2009 , 07:39 AM
Subscriber
They do and is funny sometimes. They dont get it. But it does not bother me. I am ok with it. I have memorize the main colors on the color swatch then from there i try to combine them. Few years a go I was working on a alien project and my daughter keep telling me "Dad green not orange". And she was only 5. but in the other hand it helped me when I was passing the nederlands test. I was suppost to talk about colors and I told them I could not see them only they shades. So e had to skip that part and I passed. lol.

# 58 20-05-2009 , 12:33 PM
Subscriber
sokol, sometimes out of the mouths of babies! ;-) Have had people think we just see black and white. That is certainly far from the truth. Through our eyes we don't see that we are colorblind. I adjust a color television just fine. But when I dress, I always wear blue jeans as we don't know when colors clash, and no telling what we will dress ourselves like. ;-) Nice to have girlfriends that know colors, huh?

# 59 21-05-2009 , 10:55 AM
Subscriber
true. I can easy tell the main colors. My problem is the inbetweens like pink, rose, orange, green.... But I still see them, i just can't tell what's what.

# 60 21-05-2009 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber
Good morning! Well once again I have behind some. I had mentioned I would be done with my texture and move on to the final comp. But I was not happy with how the plating on the saucer part was turning out. I had hoped it would be one of the stronger points, but turned out one of the weaker. This morning I have tried something different on the bottom 3 rows of plating in the front. I like it much better and am going to take today, and maybe tomorrow reworking the rest of them, and also finish the radar. Here is an update of where I am now

Hope everyone has a very good day!!

Attached Thumbnails