Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-12-2003 , 09:09 PM

Render help

The models that are in the gallery...for example the Akira Clown. What kind of render was used, I guess I dont know the question to ask but how do you render something to look like that. I like that look of the greyscale of the model.

# 2 08-12-2003 , 09:23 PM
Subscriber
Hi there done with eather global Illumination or FinalGather. In Maya's software render you can fake GI with a mel script called GI_Joe. It makes a lot of lights in a dome set up.

# 3 09-12-2003 , 02:47 PM
Thanks for the help. Are there any special settings that one would need to use?

# 4 09-12-2003 , 08:30 PM
Subscriber
no. use the defalt that comes with it. for the most part. I would not use more than 64 top lights and no more than 16 underneath.. I delit the ground lights my self. There really isn't much quality difrence between 64 and 256 lights on the dome and you take so much time penalty for it.

Change the intinity on the sky lights just a little. befor the first render. I don't know if anyone has the same probem.. but the light seem to need to be set at first or they miscouculat and are to bright.. If you don't change them buy like .01 the first time thin it renders really bright and your like oh need to tern it down. so you do and thin you get one that is really dark. it can be confusing. So after doing that right off you shoudl be able to tune it right up.

about tuneing. for any tuning on a render I would put in a couple of simple poly sphears with your shaders on them. or low res textures. and keep the shadows terned down on the res. use the dmap shadows..

use dmap shadows, raytraced shadows will be a nightmare with that many lights..

just some pointers of top of my head.

# 5 21-12-2003 , 01:42 AM
I have been trying to use this script but cannot get it to work. I have changed the location of my file but when I run the script nothing happens? Is there anything else I need to change