Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-01-2007 , 02:04 PM

skin binding :S

Hi,
I am a student who's having difficulty finalising a character for a project.
The problem is when I move joints in the penguin's arm (picture below) it actually affects the body and distorts it instead, not giving the arm the movement I want.
Any help greatly appreciated - and please "dumb-down" with technical terms!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-01-2007 , 03:53 PM
Sounds like you have a weighting issue. I'd either try the Paint Weights Tool or the Compnent Editor and adjust the weights accordingly. The PWTool is more intuitive, like the Sculpt Geometry Tool, but the Compnent Editor is better for fine tuning. Basically, what you are doing is telling the verts which bones they should and shouldn't move with.

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 3 06-01-2007 , 11:49 PM
well looking at the pic, it looks like instead of branching the bones out from the skeleton you built them from the tip of the 'arm' going inwards... that's gonna be a problem. build from the skeleton base out to the tip of the arm.

Accept no substitutions.