Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 07-12-2008 , 01:05 AM

Creating a moon?

So yet another question from me. How can I create a moon in Maya? I have a world sphere with a dark background, and I have a moon sphere which looks a bit like a moon. How do I make it glow and cast realistic light? I have a directional light placed in the moon currently but while it's lighting the scene it's not making the moon "glow" so to speak. Grateful for advices user added image

# 2 07-12-2008 , 03:20 AM
You need to play around with the material attributes.
Incandescence and glow values can be used to achieve a glow.

Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 3 07-12-2008 , 03:29 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
You dont need to do it in Maya, do it in Photoshop its far easier. Theres a great example over here

https://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorial...planets_01.asp

Most movies use a matte projection for this type of work as you can get a greater detail in a painting

I was after something similar to this ages back, but I have my own method these days...enjoy

Jay

# 4 07-12-2008 , 04:58 AM
Thanks. I'll look into both of these methods. What are you current methods Jay? user added image

Anyway, I was also considering making some really simple stars. I was thinking that it should be possible to just add point lights and make them very centered light sources. Unfortunately, I can't really seem to get that effect, would I need to do the same thing to add stars?

# 5 07-12-2008 , 05:27 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
stars can be done in Ps as well, create a file and fill it black, then add filters> 999 noise then go to filters>stylize>diffuse and use the darken option a few times until you are happy.

I do a similiar effect with the texture by using spherize but after that I use overlay duplicates and I then paint in my own clouds/storms, outer glows etc and atmosphic shads.

Jay