Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 05-03-2010 , 06:12 PM

local orientation of a control

I am learning how to rig a character and I have a wrist control that I would like to have the same local orientation as the hand does. The question is how do I change the orientation of the control. Screen shot attached.

Thanks in advance.

d

Attached Images
# 2 05-03-2010 , 07:43 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think this is what you're looking for:
Go to component mode (F8), then look at the masking modes in the status bar. Turn them all off, then right click the question mark and turn on local orientation. You'll see the pivot points in the joints, which you can rotate as appropriate. I don't know if those are the real names of things, I'm just guessing as well as I can remember (don't have maya here). Hope that helps.

# 3 05-03-2010 , 10:37 PM

Originally posted by stwert
I think this is what you're looking for:
Go to component mode (F8), then look at the masking modes in the status bar. Turn them all off, then right click the question mark and turn on local orientation. You'll see the pivot points in the joints, which you can rotate as appropriate. I don't know if those are the real names of things, I'm just guessing as well as I can remember (don't have maya here). Hope that helps.

Not what I am asking. I do know how to orient the joints which is what I "think" you are talking about. I want to orient the control to be the same as the hand so when I move the control in a direction it would be easier to tell because the both are oriented the same direction. Look at the rotation tool and see that it is not lined up with the control. I tried to do the same procedure to do this like a joint but when I go into component mode I get all of the vertices that make up the control.

d

# 4 05-03-2010 , 10:42 PM
Lifetime Member
i think im right in saying you have to select the control in vertex mode and select all the verts and move and rotate it to how you want it .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner