Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 16-10-2003 , 05:20 PM

2 Materials onto 1 object?

Hi, could someone please tell me how I can easily apply 2 different shaders onto 1 object, say a poly plane, apply 1 shader to one set of faces on one side and another on the other side?

Many thanks user added image

# 2 16-10-2003 , 05:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
Select the faces, right click on the material in the Hypershade, Assign to Selected.

# 3 16-10-2003 , 05:37 PM
You can also drag to the selected face.

# 4 17-10-2003 , 11:11 AM

Not Quite!

Thanks but that's not quite what I meant, try this for example: Create a poly plane, try and select the faces of one side of the plane and apply a shader, next try and select the other side and apply a different shader to it? The problem is you don't seem to be able to select the other side as the faces from the first side are considered by maya to be the same as the reverse! I think that makes some kinda sense? Any ideas?? THX, James.

"1.21 GIGAWATTS"
# 5 17-10-2003 , 01:50 PM
The Maya Mountain
sounds like you'd want a very thin cube rather than a plane. It is possible to do what you ask, but it's a lot of trouble in my opinion.

# 6 17-10-2003 , 05:39 PM

Cheers!

Yeah i know mtmckinley, but I was set the task by a friend of mine, we seem to have challenged each other to a kind of competition, he thinks of a task for my to do and when I've done it I throw one back at him. Quite fun and good way to learn I thought?

"1.21 GIGAWATTS"
# 7 20-10-2003 , 07:16 PM

we seem to have challenged each other to a kind of competition, he thinks of a task for my to do and when I've done it I throw one back at him. Quite fun and good way to learn I thought?

That's the purpose of out CHALLENGES forum. Want some good challenges, take part in one of ours. user added image

What you're trying to do can't be done. When you apply a shader to geometry, it applies it to both sides of it. In the case of a plane, both sides will have the same shader applied to it. Thus, if you have text in the texture, it will read normal on one side but reversed on the other. That's just the way Maya works. You could go the route of what Mike said and create a very thin cube. That way, it will have two physical sides instead of one and you can apply two different shaders to each side.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 8 20-10-2003 , 07:31 PM
" What you're trying to do can't be done "

I think it can, your right about the text thing but there must be a way round this, i'm working on it at the moment, i'll keep ya posted ( If I succeed that is! ) Thanks anyway user added image

"1.21 GIGAWATTS"
# 9 20-10-2003 , 07:35 PM
Make sure you post images if you do it.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 10 20-10-2003 , 10:24 PM

# 11 22-10-2003 , 06:31 PM
I know Max has a material called two sided which does what you are trying to do. I am curious to why you would want to. A surface is an infinately thin sheet and averything in the real world should have a little thicknes to get an edge high light. Also it is very unforgiving if anything interacts with it.

# 12 22-10-2003 , 06:39 PM
The Maya Mountain
What Dann suggested is the only way I know of. Like I said, kind of a pain.

# 13 24-10-2003 , 03:55 AM
There's an alternative method of connecting your initial textures if you're using the tutorial mentioned above. Instead of connecting each texture's Out Color attribute to the condition utility's Color 1 and color 2 attributes, try this instead:

Connect the outer texture to the condition node's "colorIfTrue" attribute. Then do the same for the texture you want on the inside, except connect it to the condition node's "colorIfFalse" attribute. So in a few short steps, here's the whole thing:

1. Create a blinn, a condition node, and two textures (in my example below, a wood texture and checkerboard).

2. Middle-mouse drag and drop the condition utility node onto the blinn and choose "color".

3. Now, connect the textures (mmb, click and drag) as I mentioned above. If we want the wood on the outside of our object (the direction the normals are facing), you'll connect that to the condition utility's "colorIfTrue" attribute. The blinn will take on the color of whichever you have plugged into "coloriftrue." So, connect the other texture to the condition node's "colorIfFalse".

4. Create a sampler info node and middle-mouse drag and drop it on the condition node and choose "other" which will open the connection editor. Connect Sampler Info's "Flipped Normal" into the condition's "First Term" and you should be good to go.

Attached Images

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 24-10-2003 at 12:53 PM.
# 14 24-10-2003 , 05:51 PM

Nice!

Excellent dude, just tried that one out and it worked perfectly! cheers mate user added image I just love the way there's nearly always a work around for just about everthing in maya!

Thanks again, James.

"1.21 GIGAWATTS"
# 15 05-05-2015 , 07:14 PM
it's been quiet a while... but still helpful. user added image
thanks a lot!

m