Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-06-2004 , 06:26 PM
Subscriber

xray script

I am working on the dragon head tutorial and I have noticed that a few times Kurt uses a shelf button for xray. I am new to maya and honestly I just hate programming. I was wondering if someone could maybe make a script to turn xray on and off for me please :-) Also, is there any way to just make a script that will turn xray on or off for the selected object, instead of the whole window?

I tried to make one on my own, by turning xray on, then going to the script editor and middle mouse dragging to the shelf. However the problem was I had to make another button to turn it off. Also it only worked in the window I made it in. (i.e. if i made it in the pesp view, it would only work for persp view, not any other view)

Last edited by Der Kaiser; 24-06-2004 at 06:29 PM.
# 2 24-06-2004 , 06:40 PM
Here you go..... just put in your my documents>maya> scripts folder.. then type in toggleXray in maya under the time line... hit enter. then select the toggleXray type and middle mouse drag it to your shelf.

If it dont work the first time just restart and past toggleXray again hit enter.

Hope that is clear.

Attached Files
File Type: zip togglexray.zip (387 Bytes, 895 views)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 24-06-2004 , 06:52 PM
Subscriber
Thanks very much Kurt

# 4 27-06-2004 , 05:17 PM
Technical Director
Then you can go into Window>Setting/Prefrences>Hotkeys and assign it to a key.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 27-06-2004 at 05:21 PM.
# 5 07-11-2004 , 01:08 PM
Subscriber
I can not seem to get this to work - i have a Mac if that makes any difference! any help pls guys...

# 6 14-02-2005 , 02:47 AM

question about toggle xRay

Originally posted by Kurt
Here you go..... just put in your my documents>maya> scripts folder.. then type in toggleXray in maya under the time line... hit enter. then select the toggleXray type and middle mouse drag it to your shelf.

If it dont work the first time just restart and past toggleXray again hit enter.

Hope that is clear.

Hi Kurt:

I have two questions:
1. What is "..then select the toggleXray type and middle mouse drag it to your shelf" mean? Where/how can I find it?
2. In the Mech lesson, I saw the oultline of the seleted object like edges is thicker than other inner lines. Do you know where I can set it up?

Thanks for your time and expertise

liuima

# 7 14-02-2005 , 03:06 AM
liuima

For the x-ray just type toggleXray in your command line after you have put the mel script in the right folder, then highlight the words then middle mouse drag it to your shelf. If things work right once you hit the new mel Icon in your shelf the geo will turn to x-ray.

For the question about the poly edges you can set it up in 2 areas:

1) In your menu bar find DISPLAY> custom polygon display> option box click on highlight and where you see boarder width raise up the value to about 4.000.

2) Once you have complete 1 and you have a ploy that has boarder edges go to Display again and find polygon components and click on boarder edges until you see the edge line get brighter.

Hope that helps and thanks for supporting SM.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 8 14-02-2005 , 05:41 AM
Hi Kurt:

Thanks a lot. Everything work Great.

Have a nice day

liuima

# 9 18-02-2005 , 04:26 PM

X-Ray Script

Hey Guys,

Someone posted about this in another thread. Anyways, I noticed that this script didn't come with an icon, so I made one in photoshop for it. I'll upload it here in case anyone wants to use it.

Hope you like it user added image

!MasterFool

Attached Images
File Type: bmp xray.bmp (3.1 KB, 399 views)
# 10 31-05-2005 , 11:33 AM
Subscriber

Re: xray script

Originally posted by Der Kaiser
I am working on the dragon head tutorial and I have noticed that a few times Kurt uses a shelf button for xray. I am new to maya and honestly I just hate programming. I was wondering if someone could maybe make a script to turn xray on and off for me please :-) Also, is there any way to just make a script that will turn xray on or off for the selected object, instead of the whole window?

I tried to make one on my own, by turning xray on, then going to the script editor and middle mouse dragging to the shelf. However the problem was I had to make another button to turn it off. Also it only worked in the window I made it in. (i.e. if i made it in the pesp view, it would only work for persp view, not any other view)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! If only you knew how badly I needed this! Please let me know if I can offer you my first born!

She's 18 and I dont really want her any more!:attn:

# 11 13-06-2005 , 07:08 PM
Subscriber
I will take the Script, icon and the 18yr old first born thank you...
(I have always been greedy) user added image