Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-06-2006 , 03:55 PM

Using Maya for designing special effects

One of the wonderful uses I have found for Maya is to develop special effects that will take place in the real world.

Because it is optically accurate and capable of simulating cameras, one can set up a theorized special effect and test it before hiring a caprenter.

Here is one of the effects I am working on in Maya: https://wiki.highinbcgallery.com/inde...ed_perspective

This is a forced perspective trick where I make a large object look smaller than it really is. With the help of maya I am able to put down detailed blueprints with grid coords for where everything should be.

# 2 22-06-2006 , 05:19 PM
so... you make dissapear the weed, and suddenly you have perspective changes all over the place, nice technique... user added image

# 3 22-06-2006 , 05:28 PM
Thanks, I based it off the scene in Naked Gun where the phone looks very close to the camera but is instead very large as you see when the guy picks it up.

Everyone knows how big a phone should be so no second object was needed to force perspective, but since joints vary in size an object of known size(the lighter) it put next to it.

Using Maya for planning movies is not limited to special effects, you can use it for planning blocking, lightings, mirror effects, framing, and you can create storyboards with it.

You can simulate your equipment with real constaints and thus be able to check that an angle is possible with your tripod and your camera. You can know if the light or the microphone will be in the shot.

If you figure this stuff out before hiring a crew you save a fortune.

# 4 22-06-2006 , 05:37 PM
Indeed thats what maya and other 3d apps are used for in the industry already.

# 5 27-06-2006 , 07:54 AM
What about doing the visual effects scenes themselves using 3d apps?

# 6 27-06-2006 , 08:01 AM
What about doing the visual effects scenes themselves using 3d apps?

# 7 27-06-2006 , 01:16 PM
That is often the best solution, however say we want the characeer to smoke the joint, suddenly the 3d solution gets a lil more complicated.

Most cases, a very well shaped and textured object can be seamlessly put in. But when you need a high degree of character interaction with the enviroment it is often best to use conventional effects.

No one solution is perfect for every circumstance, IMHO

# 8 29-06-2006 , 09:17 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Its an old technique. Its one to be used with varying focal lengths on the camera. I use them every day at work in Maya

Jay